Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE

Phoronix: Benchmarks: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE

Last week we delivered benchmarks of Fedora 13 Alpha and Ubuntu 10.04 (along with testing the Fedora 11 and 12 too), but today we have a new set of comparative benchmarks that are covering the latest development versions of Ubuntu 10.04, Mandriva 2010.1, PCLinuxOS 2010, and openSUSE 11.3. Here they are.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woow,...I was thinking of trying PCLinuxOS for a long time,I newer imagined that it was that good.
    Seriously,BFS killed all distros in these tests.Too bad that it doesn't use all newest packages .

Comment

One thing missing from the article is which of the tested distros were running with KMS enabled and which ones weren't. I suspect this is were the performance difference in the OpenArena and Tremulous benchmarks comes from.

Comment

64-bit vs 32-bit

As noted in the article, PClinuxOS is not distributed for 64 bits, so the tests used 32 bits distributions.

We've seen here in Phoronix that 64-bits gives better performance than 32-bits all things equal, so if you have a 64 bit machine, and you try the best release from each distro (64 bit for all except PCLinuxOS), the differences would be smaller (and who knows what distro would take the gold, it would be nice to see those tests)

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
          Seriously,BFS killed all distros in these tests.
          Good joke. It doesn't perform better in every test. It usually kills mouse and keyboard input.

Comment

Does this mean that the BFS is the key factor though?

Have there even been benchmarks on a vanilla kernel and the directly compared to a BFS patched kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Good joke. It doesn't perform better in every test. It usually kills mouse and keyboard input.
              Really? It never did here.

And yes, it didn't perform better in every test. That's true. I guess it sucks. It should have won them all, not just half of them. Lame.

And I guess all those PCLinuxOS users don't have keyboards and mice.

Seriously, some people...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                One thing missing from the article is which of the tested distros were running with KMS enabled and which ones weren't. I suspect this is were the performance difference in the OpenArena and Tremulous benchmarks comes from.
                I thought of the same. KMS and in case of UMS screen size matters as well.

If screen size was set bigger than current display resolution, it could cause worse performance (counts to UMS only).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Really? It never did here.
                  Works for you, doesn't work here. it's funny to read this, because you were laughing in another thread saying "works for me".

And yes, it didn't perform better in every test. That's true. I guess it sucks. It should have won them all, not just half of them. Lame.

And I guess all those PCLinuxOS users don't have keyboards and mice.

Seriously, some people...
                  So, half of those tests is thanks to BFS, not mesa, KMS etc? Maybe many PCLinuxOS users aren't affected? Yes, it will suck till it will be more stable. I recommend you to shut up, because what you said is idiotic. Seriously, some people are idiots. It sucks because it kills mouse and keyboard input not because it didn't won them all.

Comment

It's obvious that the whole reason why PCLOS won so many tests is not because of BFS that's why I said it's a shame that it doesn't use all latest things like other distros.But even without that anyone who knows that PCLOS is based on Mandriva and sees this tests can see why it's so god and can make some parallel between them.Based on what people say about BFS it really shows that it has some benefits(like listening music and compiling something "without stuttering"),and performance gains.

Comment

Working...
                    X