No announcement yet.

Yahoo Pays Canonical, Now They're The Ubuntu Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So essentially, Canonical just made a deal with Yahoo to use Microsoft(R) Bing (R) to do web searches on Linux? I'll stick with Google, thank you.

Comment

Wtf is Yahoo!?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I beg to differ, at least a lot of their apps are not open source (Google Earth, their search infrastructure etc etc), so if that's "completely open source friendly" then how do we call companies that are actually 100% open source friendly? "Super mega duper open source friendly"??
        i knew someone would say that.

we call google "completely open source friendly".
        we call other companies "completely open source"

Comment

Hmmm, this might provide motivation for google to switch to another distro as their "linux of choice" for development.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
            So essentially, Canonical just made a deal with Yahoo to use Microsoft(R) Bing (R) to do web searches on Linux? I'll stick with Google, thank you.
            I'll also stick with Google, not because I have anything against Bing. But simply because in my experience Google's search engine is better and more usable than the alternatives around.

I do like to see some more competition though. Google is getting a little too big.

Comment

Good for Canonical! They have done a great job and this seams like a good way to make money. I will continue to use startpage for my search engine though.

Comment

Interesting news! I wonder though how much $.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I'll also stick with Google, not because I have anything against Bing. But simply because in my experience Google's search engine is better and more usable than the alternatives around.

I do like to see some more competition though. Google is getting a little too big.
                  Google is big, yes. But open-source friendly. Microsoft is bigger, and actively deters the development of open-source software.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Hmmm, this might provide motivation for google to switch to another distro as their "linux of choice" for development.
                    That kind of was my thinking there too, deanjo...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

What kind of competition? It seems to me that search quality is not the competition. Only Google is providing such high quality search results. If the "competition" is competing then they aren't doing it in a way that benefits the consumer. Not if they aren't competing in quality, cost, or some other consumer measurable benefit.

As to the size of Google, what is the critical mass that makes an organization bad? I don't see how size is necessarily proportional to evil. There are plenty of bad organizations in every size bracket, big and small.

I'm not seeing competition that's attractive to me and size doesn't always matter.

It also seems to me that Bing and Yahoo would do better to start competing for more than just the default slot. Google made it to the top without having that benefit. I think that says a lot. It also seems like the default game is all that MS and Yahoo are interested in playing. It isn't working but that's all they seem to be interested in.

On one hand I'm glad that Canonical can plunder some of the blunder. On the other hand I wish the blunder wasn't there at all.

Edit: Another thought on size: Ubuntu is the biggest Linux. Does that mean they are also the evil Linux?
                      Last edited by Jimmy; 27 January 2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X