Yahoo Pays Canonical, Now They're The Ubuntu Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    To those who think so: Bring me all your thumb drives and show me they all use something other than a Microsoft file system or you're a hypocrite.
    Yeah we 've seen how nice is to standarize no opensource and free technologies and then try to make them compatible under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
      You missed my point. Just as mono is not a MS project Yahoo is also not owned by Microsoft (at least yet :P ) They are partners with MS. Guess what Novel the main player behind Mono is also in partnership with MS...

IMHO it's very alike and as I said there are distros that provide Mono by default and those that do not. Ubuntu provides mono by default and now will use yahoo (bing powered or whatever). As I said that shouldn't be a surprise.
      It's a terrorist plot to replace the Linux kernel in with the Nt kernel... we're all doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        It's a terrorist plot to replace the Linux kernel in with the Nt kernel... we're all doomed.
        But why? I've heard the NT kernel is very good...

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
          You missed my point. Just as mono is not a MS project Yahoo is also not owned by Microsoft (at least yet :P ) They are partners with MS. Guess what Novel the main player behind Mono is also in partnership with MS...

IMHO it's very alike and as I said there are distros that provide Mono by default and those that do not. Ubuntu provides mono by default and now will use yahoo (bing powered or whatever). As I said that shouldn't be a surprise.
          The only similarity I see is that Novel made an agreement with Microsoft and Yahoo made an agreement with Microsoft. The agreements are about completely different things.

Yahoo's agreement was to use Microsoft's technology as implemented by Microsoft and Novel's is that Microsoft will not assert their patents against Novel for implementing a competing product. (Although I don't know how useful Novel's agreement is in regard to Mono given that Microsoft later promised not to assert patents against anyone for creating or using an alternate .NET implementation back in July.)

So, on one hand you have Yahoo dropping out of search (not competing) and the other Mono continuing doing what they've been doing (providing an alternate competing product).

Comment

Mono is not really a competitor to .NET and so far it doesn't seem it ever will... It will always just play catch up or be a C# for open source devs. It's like saying that Wine is a competitor to Windows 7. It isn't.

Anyway my point is that ubuntu is not a distro that stays away from controversial or MS techs or techs based on MS ideas (Call that whatever you want) just because of some ideology or MS hate.

... and Mono for sure has many haters among community (far more then samba don't you agree ? ) So I think it's pretty valid to say that if ubuntu has nothing against mono it's no surprise they also have nothing against using bing based search.

BTW Honestly I don't use / care about mono or what the default search in ubuntu is. I was just surprised at how people are surprised with ubuntu decision ... That's all.

Comment

Working...
            X