ReactOS May Begin Heavily Using Wine Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazy View Post
    Hang on.. none of the linked benchmarks compared PGO builds of firefox on linux. The whole point is that getting PGO linux builds working is an outstanding bug:
    RESOLVED (taras.mozilla) in Firefox Build System - General. Last updated 2018-11-26.

...which has already been resolved (and is routinely performed) for windows builds:

hopefully this is fixed by 3.6.
    But if PGO counts for a 20% performance increase, then that's not everything that's wrong with the Linux build. Windows Firefox is 100% faster than Linux. Of course, Linux Firefox is also 80% better than Windows IE, but what else is new...

The only other thing I can find fault with is that the test obviously only tests Javascript performance. Page rendering performance, and general UI responsiveness is very important for user experience, but also difficult to test I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Page rendering performance, and general UI responsiveness is very important for user experience, but also difficult to test I guess.
      UI responsiveness would especially be a hard one to test as a lot of the times issues with that comes from other subsystems such as video drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        Gentoo users.
        And 'Arch' users

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I am a Gentoo user and I really don't have the patience to compile everything twice with a test-run in-between for PGO
          How fast is your pc friend?

I have a dual-core Athlon (only $72 1 1/2 years ago), and I always have time to compile things because I can do it in the background. Sometimes I play Nexuiz while I recompile

Comment

Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz with 6 gigs of RAM, but compiling everything *twice* and also doing the other necessary stuff for PGO (running and testing the programs before recompiling them again) is *not* my idea of fun.

Comment

I gotta agree with that. PGO is a great optimization but it's also more complex than just adding an extra CFLAG. To invest that extra work it should be for something where those 10-20% of extra performance really makes a difference for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I am a Gentoo user and I really don't have the patience to compile everything twice with a test-run in-between for PGO
                Yeah, I use it too. Hence the . It's no fun if you can't rib yourself a little, right?

On a more serious note, even having the option would be nice. As it is, we don't even get it for firefox-bin.
                Last edited by Wyatt; 22 January 2010, 02:15 AM. Reason: Adding bit

Comment

Working...
                X