X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
    As a Gentoo user i can tell you that "Sheer Compilation Time" is a myth
    [...]
    To recompile the whole thing with over 1K packages is less then 7 hours [...]
    So, how many centuries would it take to take back those 7 CPU-hours lost in recompilation?

Think about your poor CPU... It could have spent those 7 hours playing its favorite music, watching movies, sleeping or just hanging out with its best pals, RAM and Southbridge (unfortunately, we lost Northbridge in an accident a few years back.)

Sad, sad CPU.

Edit: on topic, this articles shows there's no real performance advantage in favor of Sabayon or Kubuntu (4 wins on each side and several ties). I'd like to see a Gentoo benchmark, but I'm not sure it's worth the setup time...
    Last edited by BlackStar; 04 January 2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I have a 5 years old 3000+ Athlon with 1.5 GB RAM and I compile Gentoo since 2004
      The trick is to use as newer gcc as possible, don't compile with O3 coz it needs more time and for things like QT, compile them while you are sleeping
      Btw with O2, Firefox with xulrunner needs about 40 minutes in my system.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        I'd like to see a Gentoo benchmark, but I'm not sure it's worth the setup time...
        Well, there's something of a sort right... here.

Naturally, I'd like to see Gentoo trash Ubuntu some more, but I'll have to settle for this.

Comment

Don't run gentoo on anything less than a quad core. You'll regret it. I run arch on anything less.

Also with gentoo stay away from heavy weight vdesktop environs like gnome and especially kde. Anything using qt takes an extra compilation hit.

I will tell you a pair of 5520's (16 virtual cores) rips through a gentoo install in amazing time. With the added bonus of having system stability tested during install.

I would definitely say that using a "pre built" gentoo is really really dumb. That just makes it yet another average distro with average performance. I'd pick arch in a heartbeat over gentoo in this case...arch IMHO is a better system in general.

Comment

i dont see why compiling would be worth it in the end for the average user. For something like firefox the total time-use ratio would be stupid. firefox works just fine here in ubuntu and i cant complain about speed. I suppose you could compile everything while you sleep; But to compile everything you need you would need to sleep alot. Your doctors must be prescribing you guys some good shit.

I can see compiling games or other apps where every frame per second counts, as this bench demonstrates.

Comment

Lol
              My lowest spec Gentoo box was P-II Toshiba laptop with 192MB of RAM.
              Actually distcc helps a lot in case like this.
              Actually my first Gentoo experience was on P4 1.5GHz some pre 478 socket and 512MB of RDRAM. took me almost a week to compile gnome

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                So, how many centuries would it take to take back those 7 CPU-hours lost in recompilation?

Think about your poor CPU... It could have spent those 7 hours playing its favorite music, watching movies, sleeping or just hanging out with its best pals, RAM and Southbridge (unfortunately, we lost Northbridge in an accident a few years back.)

Sad, sad CPU.

Edit: on topic, this articles shows there's no real performance advantage in favor of Sabayon or Kubuntu (4 wins on each side and several ties). I'd like to see a Gentoo benchmark, but I'm not sure it's worth the setup time...
                Man, there is little to no at all problem to all the things you said WHILE compiling
                I do a lot of transcoding (audio and video), so let's say i have my time back
                Normal thinking human being (Homo Sapience rev 2.1) will learn a lot from first Gentoo installation. And "install" Gentoo only once (then make your own stage 4). You can use/update this few GB stage later.
                Actually Gentoo is one of the best Linux guides.
                If you start with minimal install CD and finish with complete working desktop (server elements are welcomed), think about yourself as graduated This is one of the main reasons to use Gentoo.
                The desktop is much more responsive in Gentoo than in any Ubuntu. So f..k this binary distros. I spent some time in learning. I have the right HW so I will compile because i can see the difference (not only measure some 12ms instead of 14 or 180 FPS instead of 60).
                The beauty of Sabayon, is that you can skip 'learning'. After 20-30 minutes you'll have complete Gentoo. All you have to do is optimize and rebuild the system

Comment

To chime in about gentoo - firefox binaries mostly run ok, but there was a definite and substantial improvement when compiling from source - especially with java-centric stuff (gmail, googlewave, etc). So sometimes it can be worth it to compile from source.
                  Being said, people who like gentoo will use gentoo, people who like something else will use something else. It's just personal preference.

-- Edit: there's nothing to stop people compiling things (such as firefox) on ubuntu as well.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                    I do a lot of transcoding (audio and video), so let's say i have my time back
                    No offense but it would take years of transcoding to make up the difference of time lost due to computing especially when said transcoding apps usually detect a processors capability on launch. Not to mention the fact that having the latest greatest instruction support and the most aggressive compilation options doesn't necessarity mean any performance gain and can actually be slower then a prebuilt with more generic compilations. This is especially true in the 64-bit realm where SSE2 is the bare minimum of instruction set support and is default on even the prebuilts packages. Those minimal set of libraries that can actually see moderate gains are also easily rebuilt for those tasks on any linux OS as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                      Don't run gentoo on anything less than a quad core. You'll regret it. I run arch on anything less.
                      What insanity is this? I run Gentoo since 2004 in my single core Athlon with Gnome and KDE during th last two months and the only thing I regret is I didn't run it eve earlier.
                      Gentoo is as fast as you want and as bloat as you want.

Originally posted by L33F3R
                      i dont see why compiling would be worth it in the end for the average user. For something like firefox the total time-use ratio would be stupid. firefox works just fine here in ubuntu and i cant complain about speed. I suppose you could compile everything while you sleep; But to compile everything you need you would need to sleep alot. Your doctors must be prescribing you guys some good shit.

I can see compiling games or other apps where every frame per second counts, as this bench demonstrates.
                      If that was the case for Firefox then projects like Swiftfox have not need of existence.
                      Also, everybody seems to believe a myth about Gentoo. That you compile and compile and compile and during compilation your system is useless.
                      Nonsense! You compile all the stuff once. I did that 5 years ago. Yes five years. I spent a lot of time for compilation back then. Now I update my system every weekend. Usually, a dozen packages has an update. That takes about half an hour. But what's the funny thing? During compilation you can do whatever you do even without compilation, because compilation in Gentoo is the same process as apt-get is in Ubuntu. You just write emerge plus the package you want and that's all.
                      Yes! Compilation in Gentoo is easy and takes place automatically, no need to touch makefiles or anything else. Just one command. There is even a gui for that. The difference with apt-get is that you don't see a progress bar, but just the compilation output.
                      What's the benefit? Ofcourse speed is one of them but is not the most important. Absolute control is the most important of all. You can choose whatever is going to be installed in your system. You don't want pulseaudio with your gnome? You won't have it. You don;t want policykit either? You won;t have it. You don't want Hal? Easy! You don't want java with your Openoffice, no problem. That leads to a system so light that it can be fast even without compile optimizations. And hell is modern. It will be as modern as Ubuntu, or OpenSUSE, or Fedora 3 months before their releases, and after their releases, Gentoo is gonna be again be 3 months ahead.
                      That's Gentoo. You love it or hate it. It's a trouble once but after that a permanent pleasure!
                      Last edited by Apopas; 04 January 2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X