Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 Is Off To A Poor Performance Start

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 Is Off To A Poor Performance Start

Tomorrow will mark the first alpha release of Ubuntu 10.04, and while there is still a long journey ahead for this Long-Term Support release before it officially makes its debut in April, we could not pass up the opportunity to provide some early benchmarks of the Lucid Lynx. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has already pulled in X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 and other updated graphics packages along with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel that it will be using in the final build, which already presents some core differences from the current stable release, Ubuntu 9.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone check to see if Ubuntu uses debugging packages in their pre-releases? Distros used to build them to spot more bugs but they used to run slower

Comment

At least the notifications use debugging

Comment

CFQ

A lot of this benchmarks are server oriented, maybe the patch which make CFQ more responsive for desktop has something to do with that (see http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7637/?ut...ntent=Netvibes)

Comment

At the moment, lucid has an old xf86-video-ati snapshot which is way slower than current git with KMS (and they're using KMS!). Also, Mesa will hopefully be updated to 7.7.

Comment

Benchmarking 10.04 alpha 1? Jeez, you guys must be bored..

How about getting that Win7 build finished so we can finally see those Ubuntu/Mac/Win7 comparisons already??

Comment

ubuntu debug packages

I think all packages are debug packages that are then stripped. This extra information is then available in a -dbgsym package. I don't think there are any changes for beta/release time. I know this to be the case as I've submitted crash reports that use these extra packages to give a good stack trace during a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by jackflap View Post
                I'd rather have some info than no info at all, but it is indeed a bit pointless.

However news always had a function. For example: political climate. If the news pais attention to something than the government will notice it.

Now let's look at these Aplha 1 benchmarks. It may highlight a problem that Ubuntu devs may come aware of so that they can fix it. We have X.org and Debian people visiting Phoronix. For them this news could be useful so we, as end users, may profit from it on the long run

Comment

Originally posted by jackflap View Post

How about getting that Win7 build finished so we can finally see those Ubuntu/Mac/Win7 comparisons already??
                  And why not benchmark alpha? It's not like the final release will run 3x faster, the numbers pretty much reflect actual performance that likely will not change.

Who is exactly affected by ext4 bug? I'm using "data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime" options.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    Who is exactly affected by ext4 bug? I'm using "data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime" options.
                    Wasn't it the 'check a thousand times to see if the file has been written correctly'-'feature' that you could turn of with a flag?

And who uses ext4 anyway? XFS is so much better in terms of speed and given the fact that it is journaling makes it enough for me to use anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X