Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 13 Is Codenamed Goddard

Phoronix: Fedora 13 Is Codenamed Goddard

The next release of the Red Hat sponsored Fedora Linux distribution is going to be Fedora 13, which is due out in 2010 and already promises many new features like Btrfs file-system rollbacks and NFSv4. While there are already these features being worked on, it wasn't until tonight that we know what Fedora 13 is actually being codenamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder how does it connect to previous codename this time?

/me goes to dig through fedora wiki.

ah, i see now:
    constantine -> goddard
    Konstantin Tsiolkovsky (Константи́н Эдуа́рдович Циолко́вский) was a rocket scientist, so was Robert Goddard

i just hope dealing with this release will not be rocket science
    Last edited by yoshi314; 06 December 2009, 04:09 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the codename will be, it will still suck. People at Fedora spend more time figuring out a name than polishing their distro.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        It doesn't matter what the codename will be, it will still suck. People at Fedora spend more time figuring out a name than polishing their distro.
        way to go! for a first post!

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          Even though the comment contained nothing constructive which wasn't very nice, of course disliking it isn't invalid and I myself find Fedora's usability lagging behind Ubuntu still from last I checked (12). The funny thing is Fedora often seems to lead with most features as Red Hat helps push a lot of newish ideas (or new implementations any way) and Debian/Ubuntu often ends up picking many of these ideas up. So there's strong potential there to lead on the desktop, if they could just figure out how to improve the user experience more like some other distros have. The main problem I have with Fedora is its packaging system and its breakage problems. Seems like their RPM packaging system is much slower than apt-get/dpkg/DEB and the command line and GUI tools still aren't as friendly, plus I really dislike their GUI for it. Give me Add/Remove or Software Center any day over their front-end, last I saw it.

So I agree with TemplarGR, they need more polish. Of course all of Linux needs it and its slowly happening (should read OMG Ubuntu as the blogger follows lots of interesting new apps and new looks/designs/interfaces), but certain other distros often pick more polished GUI apps and such than Fedora does it seems to me.
          Last edited by Yfrwlf; 06 December 2009, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            Well i have been a reader here for long time but never bothered writing anything. I have been a Fedora user since FC3 and i ALWAYS had important problems with it. But F12 was the last i will ever try. I won't go into details. But i am a fairly advanced linux user and my problems with this distro aren't about ease of use and out of the box functionality. Fedora lacks stability and polish. I 'll offer one example:

The default IM messenger, empathy, crashed everytime i tried to access my MSN account. Now before anyone say you could try other programs, let me say the problem isn't just that. I dont like empathy anyway. My problem is about principle. If the default IM application can't access one of the major IM protocols, even many days after official release, then what confidence could anyone have on F12 to trust his work and data?And it is not an empathy problem, as the exact same version works in all other distros i tried, It is a F12 problem.

Comment

I don't know why people aren't tired of Ubuntu and OpenSUSE fans boasting about their distros while others (and maybe those include those distro users?) bash other distros such as Fedora.

Fedora 12 and Mandriva 2010 are the only ones that use 3D out of the box on my old, crappy Thinkpad with an old Radeon card. I also think Fedora seems to try to get it right, to fix and improve things while at the same time being bleeding edge. I'm not sure if this applies to other distros.

Maybe some polish is needed but I was rather impressed that a bleeding edge distro like Fedora actually had some sort of configration that allowed some functionality in 3D with my older laptop but Ubuntu 9.10 would crash or lockup with their defaults.

There seems to be a lot of indifference with some of these issues/problems. I wish it could be explained.

I think your problem in Fedora is only temporary or let's hope so. I want to compliment Fedora and not be wrong about my assumption there.

Comment

I love the connection, it's subtle and fun.

(Sorry for this in-topic post guys ).

Comment

I don't know why people aren't tired of Ubuntu and OpenSUSE fans boasting about their distros while others (and maybe those include those distro users?) bash other distros such as Fedora.
                  some people are so tired that they just don't care. like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Tired of it? Yep. But it definitely isn't worth the effort to respond to a bunch of whining retarded 12 year olds and propagate the retardedness. Their words speak for themselves and in no way convey their literal meanings.

This is how I read most of that junk;
                    Originally posted by 12yo_retarded_ubuntu_user
                    I am a Uretard,
                    I am a Uretard,
                    I am a Uretard,
                    I am a Uretard,
                    I am a Uretard.

Comment

Working...
                    X