Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by next9 View Post
    So. Thus It would be easy to find evidence that Cannonical does a lot.
    So just how much more do they need to do to please you?

Comment

http://www.jonobacon.org/2008/02/01/canonical-and-kde/
      Some tid-bits from Jono Bacon's blog.

# Canonical invests in Kubuntu ? Jonathan Riddell is paid full-time to work on Kubuntu and Canonical provides the hosting and resources to help Kubuntu development happen. Kubuntu is a community distribution, and has an excellent inclusive community, in which Jonathan does excellent work alongside the many other excellent Kubuntu contributors.

# Canonical pays for thousands of free Kubuntu CDs to be produced, all via ShipIt. Not only this, but we pay for the postage too. This has helped to get a professionally produced CD with KDE and Kubuntu in the hands of many users all around the world.

# Kubuntu is commercially supported by our commercial support service and Kubuntu 8.04 will get the same level of commercial support as Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu 7.04 and Kubuntu 6.10. Nothing changes with the commercial support commitment.
      http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4028
      Shared Desktop Notifications from Canonical
      Submitted by jriddell on Fri, 07/24/2009 - 13:43

Aurelien Gateau and the rest of the Canonical Desktop Experience folks have been working super hard to get the visual notifications on KDE and Gnome united as part of their Project Ayatana. This involves uniting the Galago and KDE VisualNotification DBus interfaces. Along the way freedesktop.org had to get fixed to make such cooperation possible. But now the KDE half of the changes are in (KDE trunk and Kubuntu Karmic) and Gnome apps running in KDE show visual notifications just like KDE apps. There's minor issues to be fixed and the other way round (KDE apps running on Gnome) still has some patches to be finished & crashes to be fixed but it works in a lot of cases.
      http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Onli...kategorie%29/0
      Canonical Now Hiring Designers and Usability Visionaries
      Sep 15, 2008

Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, wants a more elegant and user-friendly Linux-Desktop for it's users. In a full blown statement at this year?s OSCON, Ubuntu grounder Mark Shuttleworth proclaimed: ?'The great task in front of us over the next two years is to lift the experience of the Linux desktop from something that is stable and robust and not so pretty, into something that is art'?.

How exactly he hopes to achieve this is explained on his blog: ''We're hiring designers, user experience champions and interaction design visionaries'' and he adds, ''With help from the experts, we'll make a unified desktop- experience happen.
      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCut
      PaperCut

For Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", the Ayatana Project together with the Canonical Design Team focused on fixing some of the ?paper cuts? affecting user experience within Ubuntu. The goal of fixing one hundred paper cuts has been set again for Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx.
      It doesn't seem too hard to find some stuff on Canonical's work.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        It doesn't seem too hard to find some stuff on Canonical's work.
        WTF? this is the proof they support upsteam? Kubuntu is a part of Ubuntu project. No one outside ubuntu benefit from that support.

And in addition. KDE in ubuntu is the worst KDE i have ever seen. And Buggy. Everybody suggest to use KDE in Opensuse or Mandriva - long time KDE distros with famous KDE support. Ubuntu is known for mature GNOME not KDE.

When I am asking for proof, i don't mean new shiny buttons or work no one else ever accept. How many KDE developers Canonicall hire?

Comment

WTF? this is the proof they support upsteam? Kubuntu is a part of Ubuntu project. No one outside ubuntu benefit from that support.
          Rubbish!

And in addition. KDE in ubuntu is the worst KDE i have ever seen. And Buggy. Everybody suggest to use KDE in Opensuse or Mandriva - long time KDE distros with famous KDE support. Ubuntu is known for mature GNOME not KDE.
          Kubuntu certainly has bugs, but KDE has bugs.

I would however disagree that the Kubuntu KDE experience is the worst out there.

When I am asking for proof, i don't mean new shiny buttons or work no one else ever accept. How many KDE developers Canonicall hire?
          How does Canonical FORCE people to use their work?

All of their work except for some tiny parts of Launchpad (which may now be fully open source) and Ubuntu One are available to anyone, including even Microsoft if they so wish, via GPL.

Canonical have over 200 employees. If you're suggesting that none of their work is helping Linux development and adoption in the wider community then you're either just trolling, or don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Fix typo
          Last edited by mugginz; 02 December 2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Rubbish!

Kubuntu certainly has bugs, but KDE has bugs.
            Some time ago when I used Kubuntu it has bugs while Arch Linux was free of such bugs.

I would however disagree that the Kubuntu KDE experience is the worst out there.
            The worst is Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Some time ago when I used Kubuntu it has bugs while Arch Linux was free of such bugs.
              I've heard this kind of comment before relating to various distros and it certainly makes me wonder what practical steps any distro do about this to totally eliminate this kind of thing happening short of them all using the exact same packages..

There have been from time to time, bug's that were for example fixed by the Suse guys with their own patches that weren't yet upstreamed and distros without said patches such as Kubuntu would suffer bugs without the benifit of the as yet un-upstreamed patches. This I understand, and you'd get people complain that say Kubuntu or Fedora or whoever didn't have those patches and therefore were less usable than Suse. But on the otherhand, where say Fedora or Kubuntu had their own patches that were not yet upstreamed, and therefore didn't suffer a bug where another distro may of, this was still bad because Fedora or Kubuntu wasn't tracking upstream directly.

I would argue that this isn't a problem solely related to Kubuntu. But it's certainly valid to point out where one distro may be superior to another one, but these things seem to be in a bit of constant flux. At any particular point in time the balance of who has the most bugs can change depending on the version's of packages a particular distro is made up from and their own set of patches. Even a rolling release distro can suffer from regressions in a package from upstream that another distro may not wish to ship while it's in a particular state of unstableness.

At all times though, it's important to be fair to the various distros and keep in mind the various roles they try to fill.

I'm not going to praise Canonical where it doesn't deserve that praise, and by the same token, I also wont slam them where they don't deserve it either. I'm only interested in having the best user experience possible using Linux as a base for both me and the others that I support.

If over time another distro comes along that's superior for my needs then I will happily switch but I firmly believe that the time for needless fragmentation in the Linux software stack is over.

Comment

I've heard this kind of comment before relating to various distros and it certainly makes me wonder what practical steps any distro do about this to totally eliminate this kind of thing happening short of them all using the exact same packages...
                Are you sure Kubuntu uses generic KDE without some 'special' patches (or it was just hit by broken packaging...)? I'm sure Arch Linux used generic KDE and there weren't such problems like in Kubuntu 9.04. Fedora is the worst KDE distro, because it's full of Gnome's rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
                  Eg. Ubuntu made notify-osd, however they never tried pushing it upstream or tried making it a standard.
                  LOL, so since Ubuntu made notify-osd, who is actually "upstream" then?

ATM notify-osd is pretty much WIP so why should they push it onto others as a standard? Other distros can take it and use it or change it as they want, which they probably will do if it adds value. Except those who don't accept things "Not Invented Here".

You don't seem to understand very well how open source work. Did you ever make a patch and try sending it anywhere?

Comment

That whole notify thing is really annoying - even when you test it only in live mode.

Comment

My word, what a terrible thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X