X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    As Naib in these forums
    You either love or hate gentoo.
    If you don't love it, you misunderstand it's ways. Fortunately for me I LOVE it
    I'd say it's possible for one person to both love and hate gentoo. :P
    In the last few weeks I found myself cursing at gentoo very often (though all my problems of course actually were pretty much my own fault of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      I'd say it's possible for one person to both love and hate gentoo. :P
      In the last few weeks I found myself cursing at gentoo very often (though all my problems of course actually were pretty much my own fault of course).
      Hehe the relation between a man and his gentoo system is very similar with that one between a man and a woman

Comment

Hehe the relation between a man and his gentoo system is very similar with that one between a man and a woman
        As funny as you sound, I share the same thought - you nearly stole my words . My relationship with Gentoo is human (and somewhat emotional) and I value it that much . I could write a essay on that, but let me stop there.

Back on the topic of the Yoper article, it is a shame that Gentoo has to be referred to as an example of a dead distro. I was like 'when did that happen?'. I have been using Gentoo since late 2005. All along these 3-4 years, Gentoo has delivered on my expectations of the latest and greatest packages - be it compiz and xgl in 2006 or kde4 in 2008/2009. Overall, the reference looks very unthoughtful. Anyone remotely around Gentoo Bugzilla and Gentoo Forums should not make such a shallow comment.

Comment

The funny thing is that Michael will continue to treat Gentoo as a dead project in his articles. He never answers to why he persistently spreads FUD about Gentoo. He insists on missing the point that Gentoo is not Ubuntu. "Live CDs" are only there as a convenience. You actually don't need them at all to install Gentoo. But for some strange reason, Michael keeps mentioning that not releasing live CDs means project death. "Releases" don't exist. Gentoo can't "resurrect" itself by doing a "release", since there are no Gentoo releases to begin with. Why the heck is that concept so hard to understand?

Michael, please, get informed about what Gentoo is before writing articles about it because it's getting quite annoying.
          Last edited by RealNC; 10 October 2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
            As funny as you sound, I share the same thought - you nearly stole my words
            Better your words than your woman

Comment

Better your words than your woman
              Happy to share any of my Gentoo .

Comment

The second-to-last time I did a Gentoo install (on my just-wiped-clean Thinkpad), I did it from a Kubuntu livecd. The last time I did a Gentoo install, it was soon after I assembled my new tower and had planned from the start for it to multi-boot. I actually performed the install from my openSUSE installation.

So, yeah, the so-called Gentoo "releases" are meaningless. Not only are they unnecessary, but you'll likely want to recompile everything installed from the snapshot anyway. I mean, if you're not going to make use of the GCC optimizations and USE-flags, why are you using a source-based distro in the first place?

Comment

this should serve as the best proof that gentoo does not need to resurrect itself :

( youtube copy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQqm3l4MVwY )

Comment

Wait did I click the wrong link... Just because there was a blurb about Gentoo doesn't mean everyone needs to keep saying "Wow, Gentoo isn't dead!"

On topic I used(tried) Yoper in 2004 and it was also ugly back then. So nothing has really changed. The only difference is that Yoper used a lot of red back then so it kinda hurt my eyes.

Comment

@sc3252

I think it's normal to point out the mistake. Besides, it's not the first time when FUD about Gentoo has been posted on Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X