Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Trims Number Of Test Releases

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Trims Number Of Test Releases

With the current Ubuntu 9.10 release cycle that we are currently going through, like most earlier releases, there were six alpha releases followed by one beta and a release candidate before going gold. However, with Ubuntu 10.04 -- the next release that will bear Canonical's Long Term Support and is codenamed the Lucid Lynx -- this will not be the case. With the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS release schedule that has just been posted to the Ubuntu Wiki there are just three alpha releases, but two beta releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Ubuntu Wiki link is broken (or no good, technically).

Comment

Comment

After what happened while going through the six alpha releases of Kosmic, this may not be the best idea I've seen today...

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
          After what happened while going through the six alpha releases of Kosmic, this may not be the best idea I've seen today...
          ++

they better postpone it then (like said by Marc ?)

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            What happened with the Karmic (I guess Kosmic sounds as good/bad!) alphas and why would only three alphas make it worse?

Comment

Yeah, there were a lot of big changes in Karmic (ext4, grub2, upstart, udev...) which happened in batches and caused some breakages here and there.

But it makes sense actually to do it this way with 10.04, as it's going to be LTS, so build stability will take priority over features. Plus, it will be kind of build on Karmic as it will be using Gnome2 anyway, so more alphas are not that needed.

Comment

Looking at that page seems to suggest that packages will be imported from debian testing rather than unstable. There are plenty of packages that stay in unstable a long time being updated frequently. Will Lucid have older packages than karmic?

This makes great sense for a server or cloud deployment, but not much sense from an end use point of view.

Comment

Working...
                X