• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hakl
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    Actually BOTH of them stink

Use LXDE!
    Yeah, Openbox and a panel is perfectly comparable to KDE or Gnome.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Actually BOTH of them stink

Use LXDE!

Leave a comment:

• Max Spain
    replied
    KDE sux, GNOME ftw...

Oh wait what were you saying???

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Come on guys, let's not turn this thread into another KDE vs Gnome flamewar.

Some of us like Gnome. Others like KDE. Most distros ship both variants. There's no big conspiracy out to force you to use one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• val-gaav
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    omg... its the kde users who think the world is out to get them.
    I don't want to start a flame war here but in my opinion the situation of KDE vs GNOME is somewhat alike to the Windows vs Linux one...

People use Windows because OEMs shove it down their throats, and because of apps compatibilty...
    People use GNOME because distros shove it down their throats as default, and because of some popular apps compatibilty (fe. Firefox Thunderbird are gtk+ apps)...

If it was not for that GNOME would never have as high % of users as it has now...

Leave a comment:

• anbog
    replied
    Originally posted by anbog View Post
    The news post consists of just 4 sentences which holds the answers to both your questions. So unless the post is flawed it will be GNOME 3 and a LTS release
    .. and perhaps the post is flawed? In this video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw), Shuttleworth clearly states that Lucid Lynx will have GNOME 2.x and only after that release will focus turn to 3.x. Anyone able to explain?

Leave a comment:

• Ramsed
    replied
    Lucid Lynx will include Gnome 2, not Gnome 3

The original video from Mark you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw where he says (starting around 5:15):

From a desktop point of view, with Lucid we'll be focussing on delivering the very best of Gnome 2.0. Remember this is kind of the pinacle of gnome 2.0. After Lucid all of our intention will be focussed on bringing in the very best of the new technologies, new architectures, new experiences as part of Gnome 3.0

Leave a comment:

• Kjella
    replied
    Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
    Yep, there is always a PPA maintained with the latest version of KDE, even for older versions of Kubuntu.
    Been there, used that. However, it's my experience that a PPA is no real Kubuntu release, there's always many strange little changes, or rather not changes that I think the Kubuntu team apply. Mostly for the better. I did upgrade now to get KDE4.3, but I hope the one in the LTS is a good one.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    omg... its the kde users who think the world is out to get them.

Leave a comment:

• grantek
    replied
    I hope they change the default browser to suit - they could even achieve a blistering boot time by going directly to a console session running Lynx as root - 3-second boot time!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X