Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Is The Lucid Lynx

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Is The Lucid Lynx

Mark Shuttleworth has announced at the Atlanta Linux Fest that the next major Ubuntu release following Ubuntu 9.10 (the Karmic Koala) will be codenamed the Lucid Lynx. Ubuntu 10.04 will be the official name and with their bi-annual scheduling, this release will also serve as a Long Term Support (LTS) version. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" is expected to ship in April of 2010 with GNOME 3.0, KDE 4.4, GCC 4.5, the Linux 2.6.34 kernel (ideally), feature a stunningly fast boot time, integrate a newer X Server with other X.Org updates, and offer many other improvements to the Linux server and desktop spaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think Linux 2.6.34 will happen, rather 33, but let's see. I personally think this will be the most important Linux distribution release so far.

Comment

Will Lucid Lynx ship with Gnome 3? If so, will it be a long-term support release, as planned, or will the LTS release slip to 10.10?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Will Lucid Lynx ship with Gnome 3? If so, will it be a long-term support release, as planned, or will the LTS release slip to 10.10?
        The news post consists of just 4 sentences which holds the answers to both your questions. So unless the post is flawed it will be GNOME 3 and a LTS release

Comment

Mark has said that they will delay it two months for 10.06 if they need the time.

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
            The news post consists of just 4 sentences which holds the answers to both your questions. So unless the post is flawed it will be GNOME 3 and a LTS release
            Hm, you are right. Thing is. Gnome 3.0 wasn't mentioned when I read the news post. Either that or I forgot my glasses. :P

Mark has said that they will delay it two months for 10.06 if they need the time.
            Ah, nice thanks. I recall discussions of removing the LTS tag from Lynx, but this sounds like a better solution.

Now, who wants to bet on when Lynx will ship? I'm betting on mid-June.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Smart move in my opinion. Hardy had some major faults when it first came out, not in the least pulseaudio integration and the fact that FF3 was still in beta when it was released.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Now, who wants to bet on when Lynx will ship? I'm betting on mid-June.
                I'm in... end may.

Comment

I like Lynxes. Glad the name didn't get wasted somewhere

Comment

GNOME 3.0 in an LTS release...... This sounds like putting KDE 4.0 in an LTS release. Wait! They didn't do that! They stripped Kubuntu 8.04 of its LTS status!

Comment

Working...
                    X