Ubuntu Karmic's Installer Slideshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pidgin?

I've read somewhere that pidgin will be fully replaced by the gnome project 'empathy' in future releases of Ubuntu.

Comment

And so did I, I guess somebody will need to push another round of mockups to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        For a Windows 95/98 install, the disk partitioning phase looks like FDISK.COM, and the filesystem creation phase looks like FORMAT.COM. 2000/XP integrates that part into the installer with a decent menu-driven interface and the ability to use Windows storage drivers, but it's still text mode.
        Yeah but I was speaking strictly of the menu-driven phase in Windows 95 which rolled advertisements of how damn good and easy the operating system is. Imo there's no point for displaying junk in installer. Just have it say "please go enjoy your favourite drink, I'm now installing, install bar here" and shut up. Possibly even asking the user whether they want the display to go in a powersave mode during installation. Feature-advertisers in OS installs are so last millennia. ^^
        Last edited by nanonyme; 05 September 2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu is for the masses, and I think that this behavior in installation is right...

Comment

So what happens when the user clicks on the link in the first screenshot? Does a web browser open?

Comment

Originally posted by boldingd View Post
              That's very not newsworthy. It's not even a useful or significant feature. I'm moderately ticked that the Ubuntu team bothered to put effort into something like that.
              "Those jacka-asses over to Ubuntu don't contribute up-stream changes!" "Yes, but, they've added a slide-show displaying irrelevant information that does not pertain to the progress of the install process to the OS installer!" "Oh, well never mind then, they're obviously contributing to the vibrancy of the Linux ecosystem."
              It was made by someone from the community who participates in the community Art Team. The whole point of FOSS is that anyone can contribute large or small contributions to the best of their ability. Why the bad attitude?

Comment

Working...
              X