Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we are talking about boot times... could someone enlighten me about that thing I posted here?
    GZIP and boot performance

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Since we are talking about boot times... could someone enlighten me about that thing I posted here?
      GZIP and boot performance
      This is a very interesting topic, I'd suggest moving it to a separate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        This is a very interesting topic, I'd suggest moving it to a separate thread.
        More chances to be seen here

Comment

Should have put it against Gentoo. Mac probably actually tunes their stuff for their hardware. Ubuntu can't. Gentoo would be a better comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
            Should have put it against Gentoo. Mac probably actually tunes their stuff for their hardware. Ubuntu can't. Gentoo would be a better comparison.
            I doubt any other OS/dist can stand against a finely tuned Gentoo. But with Gentoo you have the problem of the default settings. For example Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora etc stay always with their "out of the box settings" when they take place in comparison runs. With Gentoo there is not such thing. You can make it in the manner you want, not neccesarily fast but secure, not necceserily secure but slim etc. So, after a possible benchmark a horde of guys will appear to whine about why you did this and why you chose that option.
            Also, we shouldn't forget the amount of time a decent Gentoo system needs to be built.

Maybe a comparison between OSX, Ubuntu and Arch or Slack would be more proper.

Comment

How do I get a program to open upon computer startup in Mac OS X? I'm a recent Mac convert from PC, and I can't figure out how to get programs to open up when I turn my computer on. With Windows, you just put the shortcut in the "Startup" folder in the start menu. Is there something similar in Mac OS X?
              Last edited by dipalina; 17 January 2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dipalina View Post
                How do I get a program to open upon computer startup in Mac OS X? I'm a recent Mac convert from PC, and I can't figure out how to get programs to open up when I turn my computer on. With Windows, you just put the shortcut in the "Startup" folder in the start menu. Is there something similar in Mac OS X?
                It's dead easy. Launch the program if it isn't on your dock, then on the icon on the dock right click on it (or ctrl and click) you should have a option in the menu that pops up that says "Open at Login". Alternatively you can add it to System Preferences ---> Accounts and add a new login item.

Comment

Working...
                X