Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qwerty
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    thats a better call I would be willing to say that the promotion of FOSS is important outside this site
    I not completely agree. I think that this site it's *REALLY* important for the FOSS promotion.

Phoronix created a great prestige, particularly technical, in the ICT world, this is *very* important. And it has always been a voice in favor and to push freesoftware and real open systems, not pure Locked-in and proprietary system like Apple stuff.

For this I am so sad to see some kind of reviews (not this benchmark, but previous on Osx).

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    But like this we should have not promote shoes because million of cobblers lost their jobs totally.
    If a new model is better in many ways (not just financially) than a previous one, then we should just look how to make the transition less painful and give time for adoption from the old fanciers rather than stay stucked to the old one.
    But even with the best thing in the world, is impossible to satisfy everyone. That's just natural and we can't go against it.
    Thing is Apopas, we are a economic driven society. It takes money to make money. Could you imagine what kind of state the linux kernel would be in if it wasn't for those companies that generate revenue off their proprietary solutions (this means killing off every kernel contribution that has touched the kernel, removing the code as if it never existed from companies that sponsor or hire the developers nor benefit from any of their r&d). So now everybody shifts to where hardware is where it's at for making profit in IT. What happens then is prices sky rocket on the hardware and costs on that hardware goes up as well. Raising costs resulting killing off the small guy's that might have had a chance had costs been lower and then we tread into monopoly country again. It's all a game of give and take both ways. The only keeping prices in check is competitive alternative solutions. If everything was proprietary that would be bad but the same can be said if everything was open source. They both feed off of one another. Love it or hate it, it is the world we live in.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    lets pick an island in the pacific, Call it the great kingdom of L33F3R. A libertarian state that encourages the use of everything free. What an interesting project .
    As long as nuclear experiments don't take place near..

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Maybe your government's guys are smarter than ours. Here last year they contracted an agreement with MS for using MS products (not just OS) everywere they can and they passed the law during summer when the capital was empty
    Fortunately, (just for that case) the laws in Greece are rarely active
    lets pick an island in the pacific, Call it the great kingdom of L33F3R. A libertarian state that encourages the use of everything free. What an interesting project .

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Well I would say that saying "Is zealot someone who considers closed systems as a bad idea and promotes open software?" when there are literally millions of people that depend on that model for their income to pay the bills and feed the family would classify as promoting without regards to others and their wellness.
    But like this we should have not promote shoes because million of cobblers lost their jobs totally.
    If a new model is better in many ways (not just financially) than a previous one, then we should just look how to make the transition less painful and give time for adoption from the old fanciers rather than stay stucked to the old one.
    But even with the best thing in the world, is impossible to satisfy everyone. That's just natural and we can't go against it.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    i suppose it depends on the government. Long time ago my computer engineering teacher was talking about how the provincial government was making a transition to open source software for high school students. He particularly mentioned OOo as the first test. The reasoning behind it was not price or performance but licensing and real-word application. I am unsure of what is going to happen however before I left I noticed we had ~20 ubuntu systems running and the local server was running suse (used to run windows). Open office could be found on ~70 PC's but had old installs of office 2000 beside it.

Maybe my government is different? then it becomes a political issue.
    Maybe your government's guys are smarter than ours. Here last year they contracted an agreement with MS for using MS products (not just OS) everywere they can and they passed the law during summer when the capital was empty
    Fortunately, (just for that case) the laws in Greece are rarely active

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    If your government contracts agreements with MS to use Vista and 7 in the schools and forces it via a new maiden law despite the counteractions of the local FOSS supporters, then it's haardly a coincidence.
    i suppose it depends on the government. Long time ago my computer engineering teacher was talking about how the provincial government was making a transition to open source software for high school students. He particularly mentioned OOo as the first test. The reasoning behind it was not price or performance but licensing and real-word application. I am unsure of what is going to happen however before I left I noticed we had ~20 ubuntu systems running and the local server was running suse (used to run windows). Open office could be found on ~70 PC's but had old installs of office 2000 beside it.

Maybe my government is different? then it becomes a political issue.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Yeah but to support your ideas and debate for them doesn't make you a fanatic. There is a difference between fanatism and to have stable opinion over a matter. If you cross the limit ofcourse then you become a zealot.

Till then you are just a healthy supporter, as we all are
    Well I would say that saying "Is zealot someone who considers closed systems as a bad idea and promotes open software?" when there are literally millions of people that depend on that model for their income to pay the bills and feed the family would classify as promoting without regards to others and their wellness.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Actually that is pretty much the definition of zealotry

zealot (plural zealots)
    1. one who is zealous, one who is full of zeal for his own specific beliefs or objectives, usually in the negative sense of being too passionate; a fanatic
    Yeah but to support your ideas and debate for them doesn't make you a fanatic. There is a difference between fanatism and to have stable opinion over a matter. If you cross the limit ofcourse then you become a zealot.

Till then you are just a healthy supporter, as we all are

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    absolutely not. But when taken to the next level possibly. Circumstances?
    If your government contracts agreements with MS to use Vista and 7 in the schools and forces it via a new maiden law despite the counteractions of the local FOSS supporters, then it's haardly a coincidence.

I think at my own fault this thread is taken off topic
    Don't worry that's a common habbit of the residents here... I do it well too...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X