Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 13.0 Released With 64-bit Support

Phoronix: Slackware 13.0 Released With 64-bit Support

The developers behind the Slackware distribution have announced the release of version 13.0. With this major update, Slackware now finally has a complete port to 64-bit packages, while still continuing to support x86 too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HOLY CRAP! First M$ contributes to the kernel and now slackware has a 64-bit port.....

Comment

I've been running the 64-bits current for two or three months now and it works just as you can expect from Slackware : reliably and without trouble. Apart from that, as one could have expected, it doesn't make really a difference with 32-bits versions, since I only have 4GB of mem anyway.
      But well, I can say I use my CPU to the fullest now. :-)

Comment

Its about time . I've always loved Slackware, maybe the new release will find its way to one of my other machines.

Comment

Good but...

I personally think Slackware is already waste of time. I quit using it when gnome support was dropped (with dropline being so late), and switched to Arch Linux. Now I do not think what you can do with Slack, and not with Arch. They have virtually same functionality with Arch>Slack (package management,rolling packages, etc.)

Comment

Matter of taste, I guess.
            I'm confortable with Slackware for 3 main reasons :
            - The Slack Team is very causcious on what to get into the distro and how to set it up. So even current is totally stable. No special need for rolling releases, that's basically what current is.
            - I dislike dependencies in packages. For all sorts of reasons. And appart from that Slackpkg does everything needed as far as getting packages from the net is concerned.
            - I like how Slackware keep the various OSS projects' config files as they are, eventually just adding some comments. I hate distros which use their own config files everywhere.

On top of that, everything needed to compile your own stuff is included, and since there is no dependencies in packages, you can't break things if you're using your own packages.
            And since I don't use Gnome anyway, I don't miss anything.

As always, use the proper tool for your taste. Slack is mine and the one of many others. I guess Arch is good for some people but obviously not for me.

Comment

Slackware should be benchmarked with the others "big distributions"

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                Slackware should be benchmarked with the others "big distributions"
                Not sure if you can consider slackware a "big distribution" nowdays. It's more of a "niche distribution" for the die hards.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
                  On top of that, everything needed to compile your own stuff is included, and since there is no dependencies in packages, you can't break things if you're using your own packages.
                  Define "no dependencies". Surely you can't have packages without dependencies unless you want runtime failures.

Comment

This is the pecking order of users in the Linux world:

Linux from Scratch
                    Bluewhite64/Slackware
                    All others.

If you are in the others category you may wish to reconsider your realness.

Comment

Working...
                    X