Ubuntu 9.10 Gets A New Splash Screen, Not Plymouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remco View Post
    I'd personally opt for no splash at all. [...] I'd much rather see some text fly by. That reassures me that if the boot process should fail, I can see where it happened.
    My preference as well.

Comment

Having just text flying by is no option if you want to appeal to mainstream users. This is "techie stuff" that is of zero use for non-experts and even (harmless) warning messages (oh, this southbridge has a bug, resetting device and enabling workaround) may confuse users to the point of feeling unsecure about "that whole Linux thing".

If the goal really is to boot within 10 seconds the text scrolling by wouldn't be easily readable anyway (too fast) if the amount of "info spam" is to be kept at the current level.

Comment

XSplash in its current form fails, I'm sorry. But adding something this useless at this stage, right before the feature freeze is a no-no.

For the NVIDIA binary drivers, the biggest problem for booting with those seems to be the ~4 second wait while the drivers initialise. (Plus their stupid insistence to show their logo).

so, the XPlash will show only after 4 more seconds of blank screen, by that time, the rest of the OS might be loaded, hence XSplash has no place with the binary blob drivers.

Comment

The fglrx module loads in ~1 second

Comment

"One advantage though by using the X Server is that this Ubuntu splash screen is now compatible with all display drivers and just not those that provide KMS support."

Thank you, rational developers!

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              (Plus their stupid insistence to show their logo).
              Right from the readme.
              Option "NoLogo" "boolean" Disable drawing of the NVIDIA logo splash screen at X startup. Default: the logo is drawn for screens with depth 24.

Comment

OK, rephrased:
                (Plus their stupid insistence to show their logo by default).
                I think that is the first thing that I tuned away, btw.

Still I really hate the concept of 2 bootsplashes, plus then the optional login splash (Like what vista does). It really makes the bootup feel longer.

Comment

This seems like a good plan. Making existing X drivers faster seems a lot easier than rewriting all of them from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    "One advantage though by using the X Server is that this Ubuntu splash screen is now compatible with all display drivers and just not those that provide KMS support."

Thank you, rational developers!
                    Then again, think it over a while before making such comments. Plymouth comes from Fedora. Fedora doesn't support closed drivers. Open drivers are all heading for KMS. What's unrational about going for a KMS-only approach?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      What's unrational about going for a KMS-only approach?
                      What is unrational about it is pushing it before there really is a clear equal performing opensource solution.

Think about it, would you move a production server to a OS that is in development and that does not have complete functionality yet?

"For fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Edmund Burke - 1790
                      Last edited by deanjo; 29 August 2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X