Checking In On Ubuntu Karmic's Boot Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Booting fast is great but if it crashes after you get there, what good is it. Karmic is the only 'developmental distro' that locks up on my laptop after the boot.
    what didn't you understand about the word development ?

where exactly does it crash ?

remove any "fastboot" from menu.lst and append
    Code:
    scsi_mod.scan=sync
    if it's not caused by a crash from upstart or gdm, etc. it should be "fixed" temporarily,

after that wait some days and update your system and try again whether it boots fine without those settings

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      what didn't you understand about the word development ?

where exactly does it crash ?

remove any "fastboot" from menu.lst and append
      Code:
      scsi_mod.scan=sync
      if it's not caused by a crash from upstart or gdm, etc. it should be "fixed" temporarily,

after that wait some days and update your system and try again whether it boots fine without those settings
      Where does it crash? At the desktop level. I could be doing anything. I tried Firefox.... crash. Another attempt at boot and checking it out, I opened Synaptic and trying to resize.... crash! It locks up so I can't even try to run or list a log.

Comment

I have seen Ubuntu make some improvement in boot times over the past two releases. My systems now boot in under thirty seconds, but since I do not have hot hardware, it's not quite down to the sub twenty second level; twenty five seconds is the best time I have seen from GRUB to GDM login screen.

Comment

Working...
        X