No announcement yet.

Checking In On Ubuntu Karmic's Boot Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't they have debugging processes running in the Alpha build? That would slow things down.

Comment

Been trying to read about the status of Upstart in Debian.
      Has anyone installed 0.6.3 in testing and also seen their boot time reduce by significant amount?
      Is it stable?
      Will it replace sysvinit in Squeeze for certain?
      I'm reluctant to try it only because I've read some bug reports from people who installed it and couldn't switch back to sysvinit afterwards.

Comment

sreadahead

Were Those tests in Karmic performed with sreadahead installed?

I think it has been published in Karmic the same day (08/25).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Give me a working suspend over fast boots any day of the week.
          Absolutely agree. Fast boot is nice, but it would be even better if we didn't have to boot in the first place.

By the way, I would prefer working suspend-to-disk to working suspend-to-RAM, even though it is necessarily a bit slower, but I like to power everything off entirely for the night.

Comment

Suspend-to-disk can be slower than a normal boot, depending on your configuration. At least in my experience...

Suspend-to-RAM seems to be working reliably as long as you avoid any binary blobs.

Besides, fast boot time are completely orthogonal to either suspend/hibernation. I, for one, would *love* to see my virtual machines load in 10 seconds flat.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
              By the way, I would prefer working suspend-to-disk to working suspend-to-RAM, even though it is necessarily a bit slower, but I like to power everything off entirely for the night.
              Especially with todays SSD's. Suspend to disk should be alot faster on portable systems that use them making suspend to ram really not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Suspend-to-RAM seems to be working reliably as long as you avoid any binary blobs.
                That, like so many other sleep/suspend issues seems very dependent on the hardware as well. My desktops with blobs for example work fine with s2r. (Although I rarely use it anyways as the systems are usually crunching away at something). Where it could be of a lot of use though is again the portables.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Suspend-to-disk can be slower than a normal boot, depending on your configuration. At least in my experience...

Besides, fast boot time are completely orthogonal to either suspend/hibernation. I, for one, would *love* to see my virtual machines load in 10 seconds flat.
                  agreed, suspend-to-disk is noticably slower from my experience than to-ram (on an dell xps m1330),

with Karmic Koala Alpha5 + Updates from Yesterday (so to speak Alpha6)

binary blobs don't necessarily have to be a contradiction towards suspend-to-ram (as long as we're talking about nvidia blobs )

Comment

Booting fast is great but if it crashes after you get there, what good is it. Karmic is the only 'developmental distro' that locks up on my laptop after the boot.

Comment

Karmic is the only distro so far that suspends properly on my other laptop (Japanese Fujitsu L00X). I suspect it's mostly due to the awesomely improving OSS Radeon driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X