Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 12 Alpha To Bring Many Improvements

Phoronix: Fedora 12 Alpha To Bring Many Improvements

The first development release for Fedora 12 (codenamed Constantine), Alpha 1, was supposed to be released this week. However, Red Hat has pushed back its release to next week Tuesday. While there is this seven-day delay, an Alpha 1 RC1 ISO spin is available and we decided to provide a very early and brief look at the Fedora 12 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does Fedora have to ugly themes?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      Why does Fedora have to ugly themes?
      Because you didn't bother join the artwork team and didn't enlighten them, by showing you own work, on how to create themes that everyone, with no exceptions, would love.

Comment

No geode support?

If the 32-bit packages are 'i686', does that mean that Fedora won't work on Geode chips? Isn't Fedora the base for the OLPC's Linux? What about others running Fedora on Geode chips?

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
          If the 32-bit packages are 'i686', does that mean that Fedora won't work on Geode chips? Isn't Fedora the base for the OLPC's Linux? What about others running Fedora on Geode chips?

Generally speaking, the Geode processor is like the original Athlon. It supports the i686 (Pentium Pro) instruction set, MMX, the parts of SSE that do not involve SSE registers, 3DNow! Enhanced, a couple Geode-specific instructions and a few SSE2 instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Maners View Post
            Because you didn't bother join the artwork team and didn't enlighten them, by showing you own work, on how to create themes that everyone, with no exceptions, would love.
            If it just was that simple...

have you looked at the other proposals?

They are so far away from even being close

Why can't they just have a solid background colour, given that all Fedora themes are ugly?

Ugly themes are not good to attract new users, or keeping the old users.

If they don't want that, then just pick and choose from the many beautiful from http://art.gnome.org/

It really is that easy

Comment

Why can't they just have a solid background colour, given that all Fedora themes are ugly?

Wow, you can change the background to any solid color you want in 8 clicks. Are you really that lazy?

Comment

Fedora installs a 586 kernel on my geode machine.

"i686" usually means "SSE2" and geode does not support programs compiled with SSE2.

I did some poking at mailing list postings and I'm still not certain if Geode will be supported. There is talk about dropping the SSE2 optimizations from the i686 compiler flags. This does not exactly make me happy either.

Comment

Oh yes, I choose the distribution for my headless router by the quality of its background pictures.

Comment

You're trolling, right? You seriously think old users who care what the background is wouldn't have already have changed it into something more personal?

Comment

Working...
                    X