basic distro for development box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic distro for development box

Ok, so I've been using Fedora for the last few years to work from home. At work we use RHEL 5. I picked Fedora as I figured it would be the closest thing.

But the thing I've found, over the years each release of Fedora seems to divirge more. Basically, I'm looking for just a nice plane jane development box. I don't care about web browser junk, audio, neato gaming graphics things. Just need basic graphics support for a dual head 1600x1200 box.

I'm just using gnome and its terminals for my interface, and the basic tools like vi, cvs, C/C++ compilers, Ruby, even resort to perl at times... eew...

It just seems after installing a new Fedora release, I spend hours having to figure out what additional RPMs I need to get installed that used to be there. They keep adding bells and whistles, but seem to keep removing more of the things I expect to be able to link to by default in /usr/lib and so on.

Hmm, I guess I'd love to figure out exactly what "set" of RPMs they build our RHEL 5.2 boxes at work are and have that. If its newer version of something like a compiler I don't mind. I like having the newer compilers and such at home as they are a bit more strict and the like.

Any votes for this? I'm sure I'm not the only one. One of the things I loved about Linux versus Solaris, Tru64, IRIX and the other big UNIX OSs it they used to always deliver all the things I needed.
    Last edited by matobinder; 17 August 2009, 01:09 AM.

For a development box with minimal packages (only what you really need) I highly value Gentoo and Arch Linux. Also, Gentoo is source based and you never need to install any *-dev packages.

Comment

Meh, I don't have too much faith in that... I still recall when a version of irssi had to be re-released from a Debian since it was originally released on a Gentoo with a broken set of autotools which generated build files that would fail to build on all non-Gentoo systems.

Comment

If you want it to match your work environment just go with the equivalent CentOS

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
          If you want it to match your work environment just go with the equivalent CentOS
          Agreed. Isn't it mostly designed to be an RHEL clone? ;P

Comment

Originally posted by matobinder View Post
            But the thing I've found, over the years each release of Fedora seems to divirge more. B
            I suspect they might again get a bit closer at some other part of the cycle, then diverge again. Fedora is more of a testing distro, they're free to test all kinds of neat new technologies and ideas there. The good ones probably end up in RHEL at some point. If you aren't interested about being on the edge of development, it's probably not a good choice for you.

Comment

Cool, I will look into CentOS, I do remember someone saying it was very close to Red Hat Enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Meh, I don't have too much faith in that... I still recall when a version of irssi had to be re-released from a Debian since it was originally released on a Gentoo with a broken set of autotools which generated build files that would fail to build on all non-Gentoo systems.
                And because of that you claim that Gentoo produces broken packages? For heaven's sake, lol. I package all my projects in Gentoo and they build fine everywhere.

You can't just take some random bug that occurred once and then extrapolate that everything is buggy. That just shows that you're uninformed and probably a bit clueless. Gentoo is the best development system in existence.

Comment

Working...
                X