Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackiwid
    replied
    I used gentoo for years because i did like the rolling releases and that i can install most stuff with one command even if it?s commercial stuff, but it takes to much time for me. Its not just the compiling, there are conflicts file collitions, managing masking and useflag lists... its ok if you want to learn much about linux but not if you dont want to invest to much time for it all the time. As example kernel updates, even with genkernel it takes to long to get it running and booting, also sometimes the compile times stinks.

So i went to Ubuntu last years (used debian before i went to gentoo), the 6 month release-cycles are aceptable even if i use since a few months karmic But there are not too much problems.

But i like to have a linux where i can install very new stuff without the possability to brack my main linus, so i installed arch linux yesterday in a kvm vm (is that redundant ^^) and I liked it, so I moved it to a lvm lv (again?) on my system-raid and made it bootable (directly outside a vm). Most stuff is very basic i think its because its a very young distribution? Most stuff is very basic and the installer just gathered lvm and mdadm support. But you have in less minutes a running system very less configuring a good wiki and no big edges so far.

I think its a good second distribution, if the gentoo devs don?t change much i will not look back. Maybe someday i try out again a saboyan or funtoo (have installed it in a chroot, but with no kernel, uses git for syncing portage that makes it 2-3x faster) but if the kernel-configuring compiling will not be made fully automated (optional) and some other things change. its not worth for me.
    Last edited by blackiwid; 14 August 2009, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vince
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    OK, that just sounds funny, a DAY to install an OS for minimal gains.
    If you like bloated os, default vendor configuration, a bitch to compile source code then you are right.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    you seem to be one of the people who never got to try gentoo, judging by your opinion.

the "takes 2 weeks to install" might be true if you are running <=400mhz pc. if you have an average desktop pc, even one day is an exaggeration.

most time spent is actually not during compiles, but during configuring the system, if you are new to gentoo.
    My "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" takes full 24 hours on a 3.3GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB RAM. If Michael is able to cope with this, go for it.

And obviously you can't take a joke. You don't need 2 weeks to install Gentoo. It's a *joke*. It's a joke because Gentoo needs over a day to install on recent PCs. It's a long time. That's why it's funny to make jokes about it. Like "Chuck Norris needs only 2 weeks" and such. It's a JOKE.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    you seem to be one of the people who never got to try gentoo, judging by your opinion.

the "takes 2 weeks to install" might be true if you are running <=400mhz pc. if you have an average desktop pc, even one day is an exaggeration.

most time spent is actually not during compiles, but during configuring the system, if you are new to gentoo.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    if anybody thinks installing gentoo is so difficult - they should try themselves and get proven wrong. if you can read and follow instructions - it should take a day first time around.

Leave a comment:

• Ranguvar
    replied

I'm an Arch user... and though Arch won the majority of the benchmarks, this was not Arch vs Ubuntu. This was Linux 2.6.30 vs 2.6.28, and ext4 vs ext3.

I believe Arch _is_ faster than Ubuntu, but this speed is more in terms of boot, package management, and system "feel". Not actual application throughput.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    If wouldn't wish Michael to go though the "Bloody Nightmare from Hell" that is the Gentoo installation procedure.... (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )
    i'd like to change my nick to Chuck Norris, then. i can do it in a few hours on nowadays typical dual core system bought few years ago.

if anybody thinks installing gentoo is so difficult - they should try themselves and get proven wrong. if you can read and follow instructions - it should take a day first time around.

Leave a comment:

• Arch64
    replied
    If wouldn't wish Michael to go though the "Bloody Nightmare from Hell" that is the Gentoo installation procedure.... (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )
    Jack Bauer can install Gentoo in 5 minutes - he can just use CTU's mainframes

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )
    Heh, indeed it's easier to count to infinity, as he did twice

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    Cool would be to compare two rolling distros. Arch vs gentoo for example

Leave a comment:

Working...
X