• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to see such benchmark

Comment

Cool would be to compare two rolling distros. Arch vs gentoo for example

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Cool would be to compare two rolling distros. Arch vs gentoo for example
        If wouldn't wish Michael to go though the "Bloody Nightmare from Hell" that is the Gentoo installation procedure.... (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )
          Heh, indeed it's easier to count to infinity, as he did twice

Comment

If wouldn't wish Michael to go though the "Bloody Nightmare from Hell" that is the Gentoo installation procedure.... (There's this funny Chuck Norris fact that goes like "Chuck Norris is able to install Gentoo in under 2 weeks." That says it all )
            Jack Bauer can install Gentoo in 5 minutes - he can just use CTU's mainframes

Comment

i'd like to change my nick to Chuck Norris, then. i can do it in a few hours on nowadays typical dual core system bought few years ago.

if anybody thinks installing gentoo is so difficult - they should try themselves and get proven wrong. if you can read and follow instructions - it should take a day first time around.

Comment

I'm an Arch user... and though Arch won the majority of the benchmarks, this was not Arch vs Ubuntu. This was Linux 2.6.30 vs 2.6.28, and ext4 vs ext3.

I believe Arch _is_ faster than Ubuntu, but this speed is more in terms of boot, package management, and system "feel". Not actual application throughput.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  if anybody thinks installing gentoo is so difficult - they should try themselves and get proven wrong. if you can read and follow instructions - it should take a day first time around.
                  OK, that just sounds funny, a DAY to install an OS for minimal gains.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    OK, that just sounds funny, a DAY to install an OS for minimal gains.
                    you seem to be one of the people who never got to try gentoo, judging by your opinion.

the "takes 2 weeks to install" might be true if you are running <=400mhz pc. if you have an average desktop pc, even one day is an exaggeration.

most time spent is actually not during compiles, but during configuring the system, if you are new to gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                      you seem to be one of the people who never got to try gentoo, judging by your opinion.

the "takes 2 weeks to install" might be true if you are running <=400mhz pc. if you have an average desktop pc, even one day is an exaggeration.

most time spent is actually not during compiles, but during configuring the system, if you are new to gentoo.
                      My "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" takes full 24 hours on a 3.3GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB RAM. If Michael is able to cope with this, go for it.

And obviously you can't take a joke. You don't need 2 weeks to install Gentoo. It's a *joke*. It's a joke because Gentoo needs over a day to install on recent PCs. It's a long time. That's why it's funny to make jokes about it. Like "Chuck Norris needs only 2 weeks" and such. It's a JOKE.

Comment

Working...
                      X