Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi OS Brings Labwc Wayland Compositor As Optional Alternative To Wayfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Brings Labwc Wayland Compositor As Optional Alternative To Wayfire

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Brings Labwc Wayland Compositor As Optional Alternative To Wayfire

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has released Raspberry Pi OS 2024-07-04 as the newest update to this default operating system for Raspberry Pi ARM single board computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think Raspberry Pi Foundation should cease development of Raspberry Pi OS in favor of pushing for the use of distributions such as Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE.

What is really the point of having a Raspberry Pi OS?
    I think most people just want to run a normal Linux distribution, not a special distribution that is specific to the Raspberry Pi boards.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I think Raspberry Pi Foundation should cease development of Raspberry Pi OS in favor of pushing for the use of distributions such as Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE.

I think most people just want to run a normal Linux distribution, not a special distribution that is specific to the Raspberry Pi boards.
      If you look at the Pi not as a normal PC but as a platform for tinkering, having it's own OS is a great advantage.

for every Pi project you find around, you find the exact command you need to type on the OS to reach the project goal. This wouldn't be feasible in a world where every raspberry runs a different distro.

One of the biggest values of the raspi is indeed being a "whole platform" (hw + sw)

Comment

Most people use Raspberry Pi due to Raspberry Pi OS as it doesn't get it their way, which is problem in most SBCs where thing usually doesn't work as advertised. Raspberry Pi proved that Linux can have good UX/UI too (ChromeOS is another), just look Raspberry Pi Imager and Connect, it is so easy setup everything which made Pi friendlier to normal users (even without technical knowledge). Using distros like Ubuntu, Fedora and others will create friction for them. I think Raspberry Foundation should help in optimizing GTK for their hardware though specially new vulkan renderer
        Last edited by luno; 05 July 2024, 07:29 AM.

Comment

they should offer cosmic

Comment

As an average Raspberry Pi OS user, why would I care about which Wayland compositor is used?

Comment

Originally posted by Cr0ydon View Post
              As an average Raspberry Pi OS user, why would I care about which Wayland compositor is used?
              With wayland the compositor is also the window manager so a different compositor will have different features for things like like tearing or always on top/on botom exposed, but also basic things like how windows will get layed out.

Comment

I would have preferred the availability of a more recent kernel to benefit from performance improvements ;-(

Comment

Originally posted by Cr0ydon View Post
                  In addition to what Quackdoc said, it's how the menus operate, how windows look, what happens when you right click and left click, themes, and more.

Wayfire is like Compiz. Labwc is like Opennox. Both are lightweight compositors that straddle the line between Window Manager and Desktop Environment.

Comment

Never in life, Ubuntu is a commercial horror with snaps that no one wants (5~6 seconds are necessary to launch Chromium in snap version on Rpi5).

You seem to be an unenlightened amateur... the distributions you mention support RPi much less well than RpiOS !!!

Fedora is a US commercial distribution related to Redhat, just like Suze which is also a commercial distribution that has changed owners a lot lately.

Debian is the only non-commercial distribution that will definitely still exist in 50 years... as for the commercial distributions that you mention, one day or another, they will go bankrupt or disappear into oblivion like so many others before them. And then know that it is the Debian people who do 99,9 % of the work for the RPi foundation and RpiOS...
                    Last edited by Phil995511; 05 July 2024, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X