Arch Linux 2009.08 Released With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Every distro must have an install ISO with an installer. If I have to install Arch first in order to then install Gentoo, I'll just keep Arch and do without Gentoo.
    I don't understand why someone must use another distro to install gentoo since gentoo has its own live cd?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      I don't understand why someone must use another distro to install gentoo since gentoo has its own live cd?
      "Warning: The 2008.0 releases are deprecated, and their links will be removed soon. You should use the weekly releases instead."

Live CDs are dead. The "weekly releases" are just minimal install ISOs. No installer there, and no plans to make one either.

Comment

They stopped even the live cds?
        It seems the end of gentoo is approaching

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          Well, there's no real point in offering a installation-cd as you can install Gentoo with any liveCD (it's even the recommended way). Also not having an installer is exactly the point of Gentoo.
          Still I agree on this:

I'm myself very intrigued by Arch... After > 1 year of Gentoo you get tired of compiling everything yourself and having to sort out all kinds of blocking packages etc. I'll probably stay with Gentoo on my desktop though as it makes changing between fglrx (9.3) and radeon relatively simple (it's still a pain in the ass, but afaik Arch doesn't even have X Server 1.5 in it's repos anymore, which is necessary to do this), and since I've been playing quite a bit in the recent past this is important to me. But if I should ever be able to get together the money to get myself a notebook I'll most probably install Arch on it.
          you can always download the package from the arch rollback machine and install it with pacman -U

Comment

I am a Debian Sid user now, and I just installed Arch in VBox to try it out...looks pretty damn good and I am starting to like it. The pacman package manager has many similarities to Debian's apt-get that should not be too hard to make the switch. Too many things broken in Debian now, so I am considering making a distro change soon and arch is on my list

Comment

This last year I used Fedora 10 both at work and home. I used Gentoo for 5 years before that. I still much prefer Gentoo for the control and how clean and simple it is, even if Fedora is easier to install. I don't mind installing Gentoo since it's something you do once, but installing on many different machines binary distributions win.

Just recently I finally installed Arch on a test-machine, and I really like it! Pacman is super fast, and like Gentoo it KISS. Will definitely use Arch more in the future, but Gentoo will always have a special place in my heart as well as on my hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                I am a Debian Sid user now, and I just installed Arch in VBox to try it out...looks pretty damn good and I am starting to like it. The pacman package manager has many similarities to Debian's apt-get that should not be too hard to make the switch. Too many things broken in Debian now, so I am considering making a distro change soon and arch is on my list
                This, the pacman rosetta page, is also generally helpful when coming from another distro as far as package management is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by atriqus View Post
                  This, the pacman rosetta page, is also generally helpful when coming from another distro as far as package management is concerned.
                  Thanks, that's a pretty good comparison of how to do many common operations with the most common package managers including pacman

Bookmarked that page for reference in future.

Comment

Working...
                  X