Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Powered CachyOS Now Defaults To Btrfs Rather Than XFS

Phoronix: Arch Linux Powered CachyOS Now Defaults To Btrfs Rather Than XFS

Arch Linux derivative CachyOS that is optimized for a nice desktop experience and shipping a nice set of performance optimizations/tuning by default is out with its June 2024 refresh...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CachyOS has a version for the steam deck? i may have to try that one out, seems interesting!!

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Really glad, how far we got our handheld edition pushed and how good it is working. Its not perfectly, but in a good state.
      We are also working on a new optimized repository currently.

Comment

That's great! Does it organize things into subvolumes to work properly with snapshots? A common Btrfs mistake is to create a partition and then immediately load all the root files onto there rather than into a subvolume.

Comment

Btrfs? That's so 2010s! Let's got with it, go all in on Bcachefs Just being silly, though assuming the former continues to pan out as a sold file system, I do look forward to the day.

I have done many Arch installs and think I may have once installed CachyOS in a virtual instance, but never on bare metal. I'm going to wipe a laptop I did an F40 KDE install on for fun and just test out not to long ago, have F40 elsewhere already. Going to give CachyOS a spin! Looks like pretty polished and ready to take for a ride.

If I remember correctly, the ISO download is kind of large and I prefer netinstalls when an option. I cannot find a netinstall option, but not a deal breaker these days. That said, looks like this CLI installer project may make that an option at some point (maybe even now, but not looking to build from source):

CachyOS CLI Installer. Contribute to CachyOS/New-Cli-Installer development by creating an account on GitHub.

Woo-hoo, a new distro (for me) to try out! And I have always likeed Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
            That's great! Does it organize things into subvolumes to work properly with snapshots? A common Btrfs mistake is to create a partition and then immediately load all the root files onto there rather than into a subvolume.
            Yes, it does. You can find the subvolume layout here:

for snapshots there is a button in cachyos-hello, which installs the package "cachyos-snapper-support", which will also create a .snapshots subvolume.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
              Btrfs? That's so 2010s! Let's got with it, go all in on Bcachefs Just being silly, though assuming the former continues to pan out as a sold file system, I do look forward to the day.

I have done many Arch installs and think I may have once installed CachyOS in a virtual instance, but never on bare metal. I'm going to wipe a laptop I did an F40 KDE install on for fun and just test out not to long ago, have F40 elsewhere already. Going to give CachyOS a spin! Looks like pretty polished and ready to take for a ride.

If I remember correctly, the ISO download is kind of large and I prefer netinstalls when an option. I cannot find a netinstall option, but not a deal breaker these days. That said, looks like this CLI installer project may make that an option at some point (maybe even now, but not looking to build from source):

CachyOS CLI Installer. Contribute to CachyOS/New-Cli-Installer development by creating an account on GitHub.

Woo-hoo, a new distro (for me) to try out! And I have always likeed Arch.
              Bcachefs is also available

We are only providing a netinstaller nowadays. Offline Installation got fully deprecated (old ISOs will still work).
              The CLI Installer needs more love, but we are working on.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
                Bcachefs is also available

We are only providing a netinstaller nowadays. Offline Installation got fully deprecated (old ISOs will still work).
                The CLI Installer needs more love, but we are working on.
                Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Comment

Its defaults mostly nice but I don't know why they are using uksmd by default. Maybe to save some ram? But uksmd wastes way to much cpu power to achive that. After a long usage I found that uksmd is using even more cpu power than mutter or plasma_wayland. So its not good for battery in my opinion. And whole more performance gains by using v3 or v4 defeated by using uksmd. Is uksmd really that useful? Is there anyone out there using this software?

Comment

I'm curious as to why the default filesystem was changed from ZFS to Btrfs. From what I've read Btrfs is much more prone to errors and far less mature than ZFS. Am I incorrect?

Comment

Working...
                    X