Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME OS Working On A New Installer & Other Enhancements To Make It More Practical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    maybe one day gnome will make decisions that make sense

Lots of people feel like android is becoming worse and worse and want to migrate away from it, I don't personally agree but I can see where the sentiment is comming from
    I've disliked it since the 6.x days. The UI hasn't changed all that much (especially true since I've used custom roms that innovated all sorts of spiffy UI things that Android still doesn't do) so it just feels like the point of the biyearly updates are to force me to buy new hardware when my phone's manufacturer doesn't want to support a phone for more than two years or my phone's carrier drags ass when it comes to verifying and allowing the OTA to take place so I never even get an update in two years. Fuck AT&T. Never get the AT&T model of a phone. Not every Android runs AOSP straight from Google.

It isn't Android itself. It's how updates are handled and the frustrations involved with that. That's different, yet similar, to how I feel about biyearly GNOME updates and plugin maintenance. GNOME itself is nice, especially with plugins, but the long term maintenance of plugins is frustrating so I'd rather just use KDE where I configure it once every 6 years versus once every 6 months. Android isn't that bad, but manufacturers and carriers dropping the ball with updates so apps quit working is also a very frustrating experience.

Biyearly updates without a thought for long term stability sucks. Doesn't matter what it is. That same update strategy is even happening on Windows, too, and it hasn't been very nice for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by joaquinvacas View Post
      *Insert comment about how Wayland, GNOME, CSD, Systemd, Pipewire, libcamera, Flatpak, Steam, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Domino's Pizza and Deutsche Bank has messed up the Linux desktop and the only way to go is to run GNU/Hurd plus KDE 3*
      ​​​​
      the list is incomplete until you mention at least one filesystem. For better results I'd suggest btrfs or bcachefs!

Comment

*Insert comment about how Wayland, GNOME, CSD, Systemd, Pipewire, libcamera, Flatpak, Steam, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Domino's Pizza and Deutsche Bank has messed up the Linux desktop and the only way to go is to run GNU/Hurd plus KDE 3*
        You left out the juicy stuff. Snap. Flatpak. AppImage. Rpm vs. deb. Canonical. Red Hat. IBM. Microsoft. Oracle.

Comment

GNOME? Why not KDE? Fund bug fixes and make it enterprise ready?

It's really sad that KDE doesn't get any attention in the business world, other than by Valve and SUSE (and even so, they don't ship it by default in SLE).

Furthermore KDE is mostly developed in Germany, so that's one more reason to fund it instead...

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            And slightly off topic, but Gnome really "redefined" the desktop experience to something will never accept.
            Desktop systems should in my opinion be compact and structured like Gnome used to be and CSD is from Beelzebub himself the way I see it - saving space by putting buttons and stuff in a title bar that is way too large in the first place. How about just fixing the real problem and going back to a normal title bar and use menus in the good old sensible and structured way?
            Why must we have posts like these on every GNOME news?

It's like this joke:

How do you know if a person doesn't like GNOME?
            - they tell you
            Last edited by oleid; 18 May 2024, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              GNOME? Why not KDE? Fund bug fixes and make it enterprise ready?

It's really sad that KDE doesn't get any attention in the business world, other than by Valve and SUSE (and even so, they don't ship it by default in SLE).

Furthermore KDE is mostly developed in Germany, so that's one more reason to fund it instead...
              You've to apply to get founding. Maybe they didn't apply?
              Last edited by oleid; 18 May 2024, 03:34 PM. Reason: Link added

Comment

I will admit that when I saw Gnome OS I thought that the creators of the most half-assed DE ever had decided to create the most half-assed distro ever, and I was right:

Few people know that GNOME has its very own Linux distribution aptly named GNOME OS. Curious? Here's an overview of this distribution.

What is GNOME OS?

GNOME OS is not a separate full-fledged Linux distribution. In fact, it isn’t based on anything at all. It’s an incomplete reference system just to make GNOME desktop work. It is just a bootable VM (Virtual Machine) image tailored for debugging and testing features before it hits any distribution’s repository.
                ​Why not just take a page out of KDE's playbook and create an "unofficial" official Gnome distro, like Neon?

Everything the Gnome project does is just so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  I never heard about Gnome OS, but it seems to be another cellphone generation inspired thing. Why not simply just run Android?

And slightly off topic, but Gnome really "redefined" the desktop experience to something will never accept.
                  Desktop systems should in my opinion be compact and structured like Gnome used to be and CSD is from Beelzebub himself the way I see it - saving space by putting buttons and stuff in a title bar that is way too large in the first place. How about just fixing the real problem and going back to a normal title bar and use menus in the good old sensible and structured way?
                  Man, I hope that most people in this forum never get a job in UX/UI, they insist in stupid things like server side decoration (that is not really a thing anywhere except in X11) and menus with no other reason than "I'm too rigid to accept anything else".

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    I will admit that when I saw Gnome OS I thought that the creators of the most half-assed DE ever had decided to create the most half-assed distro ever, and I was right:

Few people know that GNOME has its very own Linux distribution aptly named GNOME OS. Curious? Here's an overview of this distribution.

​Why not just take a page out of KDE's playbook and create an "unofficial" official Gnome distro, like Neon?

Everything the Gnome project does is just so stupid.
                    Your reading comprehension is half-assed.

Comment

Stop the (inexistent) DE wars like you get paid for defending one or another.

For god's sake.
                      ​​​​
                      I generally agree with you, except that due to one reason or another Gnome has somehow ended up as the default UI for most Linux distros, especially "new user experience" distros like Ubuntu. This leads to a lot of issues with new users not only having to learn a new OS, but also an entirely new desktop paradigm at the same time. Even though I think Gnome is a perfectly okay DE as a whole, I do not think it should be the default experience for any "user friendly" distro that intends to draw new users into the ecosystem.

In this way, I think Manjaro had it right by choosing XFCE as their default way back when. More stable than KDE was at the time, with compatibility with Gnome apps, and all while being a traditional desktop interface. I wouldn't really go with XFCE these days, but I still wouldn't go with Gnome either.

Comment

Working...
                      X