Fedora COSMIC Desktop Spin Being Considered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Well, that's the best I think I've ever seen XFCE look... so you've hit it out of the park! Looks better than 99% of themes I've seen, and reminds me of one of the reasons I liked Windows 8.1 far more than other versions, despite it's obvious flaws. You could make your windows sooo vibrant and colorful.
    Thank you for your kind words Daktyl198. It took a very long time over many years, and began with an old GTK2 theme, I think it was called greybird. But over the decades I ended up having to rewrite all the code, and create all new custom graphics. But my desktop appearance is very important to me, and if it's not right I simply can't get any work done. That's why light/dark modes bother me so much, as they actually jar my my mind to a point where I have to look away.

But as I said in my OP, I understand that many people like them just as much as I dislike them, so my only desire is that people have the choice to make their desktops appear as they wish. Of course I also understand that most people don't take their desktop appearance as seriously as I do, and understand it's kind of a weird thing. But I'm the same way with code, absolutely everything has to have the correct header borders, descriptions, comments, etc., and has to be indented perfectly, without even one space or tab out of order.

In fact at Amdahl my manager and his managers liked the format of my code so much, as it was not only beautiful but eminently readable and maintainable, that they made the big mistake of trying to force it on everyone as their coding standard. I say mistake because you simply don't try to force high level engineers and consultants to write their code in a specific way, as everyone has their own habits and preferences. The best you can hope to do is set description and comment standards, not appearance. And wow, at first my fellow consultants and other team members thought I'd asked them to do it, and were upset with me. But I quickly convinced them I had nothing to do with it, and had a meeting with upper level management to convince them to withdraw the standards demand, and then all was good on my team again
    Last edited by muncrief; 17 February 2024, 06:36 PM.

Comment

It seems this COSMIC DE is coming strong. And it looks very nice too. Plus COSMIC is based on Rust and Iced ... very interesting. Plasma 6, Gnome 46, and now COSMIC, what a lively time of development. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Another advantage (for some) is that a spin includes a "live" ISO, so you can boot and run it without installation and decide if you like the experience rather than having to install that additional DE (along with bringing in all of its dependencies) on a system just to try it out.
        That is a fair point. However, you can generally install packages in a live environment like that. The installed files tend to go into a ram overlay (tmpfs + overlayfs probably). I have done that on Debian and Ubuntu in the past to get some extra tooling. (I believe it was one or more of cryptsetup, LVM2, mdadm or maybe btrfs-progs that I needed to add at some point. Probably installed gparted as well, because Ubuntu's partioning in the installer was not up to my complicated needs.)

Mind you, installing a whole DE like that is going to use way more RAM. And not everyone have beastly computers where that doesn't matter. (I don't buy anything with less than 32 GB these days, and next time I'm probably going 64 GB instead. But I do software development in compiled languages like C++ and now Rust as well, so I have an actual need for that.)

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Oh, I didn't know that Daktyl198. It's awesome that they actually created built in tools for changing theme colors. I spent years off and on creating my custom blue theme for XFCE, first for GTK2, and then GTK3, and man was it ever a pain. And sooner or later I'm going to have to convert it to GTK4, which I'm certainly not looking forward to. But it's quite unique and beautiful, to me at least, and I can't imagine my workstation and media server desktop without it. Here's a picture: https://mega.nz/file/1f5SDBjC#jtMSXE...ka5UACHN3eU8C0
          Looks well out together. Not a fan of light mode myself (I use dark mode everywhere, and dark reader in Firefox to dark mode everything). But each to their own.

I'm very particular about font rendering instead. I cannot deal with blurry fonts. I get literal headaches. So I use full hinting with greyscale antialias with the old freetype hinting engine (enabled via a environment variable). The last time Windows did font rendering properly was Windows XP SP1 (before Clear Type).

GTK4 is a mess there as usual. For it you need to set a hidden setting in an ini file or it ignores your hinting settings.

The other option would be to move to super high DPI screens (think phone levels of DPI, where you can't see the blur) across the board, but mixed DPI is a mess (with many programs not handling high DPI properly at all) so that means replacing everything at once. Which won't be cheap with a multi-head setup like I use.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

And that's why it can. It doesn't have all that legacy baggage like maintaining both Wayland and X11 implementations.
            You say this but Desktop is not only a display manager. There are these little things which are crucial and needed like: working Drag'n'Drop, Clipboard, dynamic displays, screensavers, file explorer with network access, and many many more...

I don't think that this can be implemented in few years. I'm afraid that first version will have a lot of issues and it won't be a success. The result of this will be another marginal desktop environment without future. It is just my prediction and I hope I'm wrong.

What is not on the side of the developers is a deadline - 24.04, this could be one of the reasons of the failure - I hope that they delay the release if they are not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

You say this but Desktop is not only a display manager. There are these little things which are crucial and needed like: working Drag'n'Drop, Clipboard, dynamic displays, screensavers, file explorer with network access, and many many more...

I don't think that this can be implemented in few years. I'm afraid that first version will have a lot of issues and it won't be a success. The result of this will be another marginal desktop environment without future. It is just my prediction and I hope I'm wrong.

What is not on the side of the developers is a deadline - 24.04, this could be one of the reasons of the failure - I hope that they delay the release if they are not ready.
              screensavers are mostly outdated but thats not hard to do, drag and drop / clipboard stuff isn't hard, file explorer with networking support is probably the "hardest" here.

NOTE: there is actually already a PR on cosmic-files for SMB/SSH support, though personally I think rclone support would be pretty cool, though perhaps a dedicated rclone handling app would be better for that
              Last edited by Quackdoc; 17 February 2024, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

screensavers are mostly outdated but thats not hard to do
                He probably means screen lockers, and they are pretty hard to do, even windows 10 (and maybe 11) completely fail at it.
                for X11 there is XScreenlock, which is the most robust solution at the moment for any desktop, for wayland, 15 years in and ext-session-lock-v1 is still only in staging with no implementation afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Part of the reason why so many people interested in COSMIC is that it's FOSS. Most of its parts under GPLv3, you can't just close it, so keep your delusional business ideas to yourself.
                  This is a fallacy that people do not seem to understand about the GPL.

If the code is completely original, which it may very well be considering the claim is a clean sheet design coded in Rust, they can close it any time they want.

It is their code, the GPL does not dictate how the author of the code can use it only how anyone else receiving can use it.
                  Last edited by sophisticles; 17 February 2024, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

screensavers are mostly outdated but thats not hard to do, drag and drop / clipboard stuff isn't hard, file explorer with networking support is probably the "hardest" here.
                    Not hard? There are quirks, there are bugs, software needs to be compatible with KDE and gnome apps.
                    There are things that are taken for granted nowadays. You copy text in Firefox and you expect that you can paste it in chrome. When you can't, you get instantly annoyed. Big bang rewrites usually don't work great in IT industry. Let's wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Too late (unless they completely rewrite it all from scratch), as COSMIC's license is GPL3 (which also aligns with System76's stated values). You live by the license you choose, you die by the license you choose.
                      Incorrect, they can re-license it at any point they choose.

If you want precedent look at x264 and x265, both started as GPL's open source projects, both eventually spun off x264llc and x265llc under different licenses.

If I write something and release it as GPL, i can say the next version is closed source any time i want.

Comment

Working...
                      X