Canonical Improving The Thunderbird Snap For Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    I cannot be the only one who is actually quite happy with snaps.
    Why not?
    Not limited to GUI apps and with a wide variety of available software. Sure they arent perfect but they are good
    But for the user they only have downsides and no advantage to a classical deb. So it's understandable no one likes that. Even on the dev/maintainer side it sounds like it's not better than making debs.

It's like switching from an SSD to an HDD, everything is just fckin slow and that's what the normal users experiences with snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

I hope the containers don't catch us almost everywhere in the future.

About the "proprietary" things that someone says:

Yes, there is only one official Snap store, Canonical's own Snapcraft. But don't believe the FUD: it's perfectly possible to run your own if you wish. There's nothing proprietary in there, the APIs are documented, and the tools to publish a Snap store online are in Ubuntu's repositories. As we covered a year ago, the maintainer of Ubuntu Unity published his own, called lol, as a proof of concept.
      -- https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/...s_drop_flatpak

[P.S.: I had to remove some links of that message because it was "unapproved" in Phoronix.]
      No, it isnt FUD. Firstly, "lol" is a third-party incompatible server backend. Secondly, it is unmaintained and has been for multiple years. Thirdly, it is incompatble with the official server backend (aka if you wanted to use it you would have to get rid of the canonical repo as snap only allows using one repo as at time, you CANNOT sideload repos next to each other at the same time the same way you can with flatpak).

Please stop spreading misinformation, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post

Please stop spreading misinformation, thank you.
        It's you who is spreading misinformation:

Canonical shows how to use Snaps without the Snap Store.
        One of the most common bits of FUD about Ubuntu's Snap packaging format is that it's proprietary – but exploring the documentation shows that is wrong.
        It's easy to obtain the basic files using the command snap download rather than snap install. [...] Those files can then be copied to another machine and installed, without access to the Snap Store [...]. Running snaps without snapd. [...] Run your own Snap Store. [...]

-- https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/..._ubuntu_tools/

Comment

I'm currently testing the Ubuntu 24.04 development release, including said thunderbird snap. A lot of applications come as snaps (firefox, chromium, signal, vscode, element, keepassxc, libreoffice, lxd, nmap, rustup, steam, thunderbird, vlc, and(!) pc-kernel)

There's nothing to complain, the snap experience is much better than in the past, I like it.

Comment

Thunderbird getting updates wayyyy to slowly is a big issue in current Ubuntu, if switching to Snap like they did with Firefox means that users aren't stuck on insecure EOL versions as updates slowly trickle through the SRU process, that's a net win for both user experience and security. Although I mostly use Flatpaks for GUI apps, I have no hatred towards Snap, and if Snap is the solution to the very problematic status quo of out-of-the-box Thunderbird packaging in Ubuntu, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
              Thunderbird getting updates wayyyy to slowly is a big issue in current Ubuntu, if switching to Snap like they did with Firefox means that users aren't stuck on insecure EOL versions as updates slowly trickle through the SRU process, that's a net win for both user experience and security. Although I mostly use Flatpaks for GUI apps, I have no hatred towards Snap, and if Snap is the solution to the very problematic status quo of out-of-the-box Thunderbird packaging in Ubuntu, so be it.
              I do not know. Maybe. Instead of a binary package of Thunderbird, this is compiled directly from GIT.​

Comment

Originally posted by christophe0o View Post
                I'm currently testing the Ubuntu 24.04 development release, including said thunderbird snap. A lot of applications come as snaps (firefox, chromium, signal, vscode, element, keepassxc, libreoffice, lxd, nmap, rustup, steam, thunderbird, vlc, and(!) pc-kernel)

There's nothing to complain, the snap experience is much better than in the past, I like it.
                I am very curious about Ubuntu 24.10. There, for example, the atomization and containers will go to the fullest. Every (competition) is preparing for it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                  Does Shuttleworth ever wonder why Canonical doesn't make money?
                  This might be surprising to you, but Canonical actually is making money. In 2022 it made a revenue of approximately 170 millions (not sure if that's in pounds or US dollars) with profit totalling approximately 26 millions.

Comment

Working...
                  X