• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Ask the package manager
    But what if you have multiple kernels installed?

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    vmlinuz

which version is that?
    Ask the package manager.

and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
    vmlinuz?
    or
    vmlinuz?
    Ask the package manager.

You can also use the package manager to rollback. RTFM.

but continue to amuse me.
    Crawl back to your hole.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

How difficult is for you to grasp this?
    vmlinuz

which version is that?

and if you system updated the kernel, and the new one is called 'vmlinuz' how do you make sure it is the new one? Now you want to go back to an earlier version - because the new one is broken. Which one to choose?
    vmlinuz?
    or
    vmlinuz?

but continue to amuse me.

Leave a comment:

• AdrenalineJunky
    replied
    But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.
    right, because linux is definately not about choice, and one version is obviously and irrefutably the best, it doesn't matter that different distro's have completely different approaches to things, there is a *right* way do to something and a *wrong* way. and no matter what you say my choice is the *right* way.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Gosh, energyman you just don't get it. You can put a version number to the filename if you insist, but it's not necessary. The version number is there even if it's not in the filename.

How difficult is for you to grasp this?

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    because the symlink points to a versioned vmlinuz file and suddenly you know exactly which kernel will be booted. Even better, you can have douzends of kernels in /boot without any problems - if you want to boot a different one, just change the symlink. Wow, that is easy. And such a good thing to have.

But hey, continue to sell your distri as the next best thing. It is time to replace ubuntu as the greatest since sliced bread.

Leave a comment:

• AdrenalineJunky
    replied
    yes, you can use a symlink... but explain to me why that is a better option?

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    *yawn* you don't have to update menu.lst/grub.conf if you do it right.

kernel with version + symlink. Works fine, is save. Arch can not do it? Made by idiots or broken? What is it?

Leave a comment:

• AdrenalineJunky
    replied
    @blackstar - i don't think i was in my right mind when i asked that question....

@energy man - that has nothing to do with versioning and everything to do with not having to update the grub menu.lst after every kernel install. there are quite a few distro's that do it that way actually.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    look into boot. What do you find there on an arch system?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X