No announcement yet.

Help finding a Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't pretend to have read every single word of this thread, but if you have multiple kernel versions then it's generally a good idea to symlink (typically vmlinuz) to your kernel, and have grub boot from that.
    The reason this is a good idea is not for ease of every-day use, but for when things go wrong - boot up your livecd, inspect filesystem and see what kernel it's trying to boot, and change if necessary.
    Typically the kernel's own make file will take care of auto-updating the symlink (after "make install").

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Yes, you can install multiple kernels simultaneously. The process is trivial and the images have whichever name you decide to give them.

Seriously, read the links above. The sample PKGBUILD recommends using the LOCALVERSION variable to define unique custom names in the form kernel26%LOCALVERSION%. However, you are free to ignore this and use a completely custom name: kernel-2.6.69-energyman-special.
      You edited your previous post after I posted mine and thus I didn't see the links.
      Anyway, the process I see there, is the traditional kernel.org way, but plz don't make me read all the details in these pages, I could find them myself if I really wanted
      All that I'm asking is an Arch-user to tell me from his experience if it is possible to install multiple ready kernels from the package manager and not by compiling them on his own.

*PLZ an appeal to all the users. Do not edit your posts after someone else has already replied. It leads to misunderstandings. If you edit it and in the proccess someone replies then delete your edit and make it a separate post. Thank you

Comment

My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

Seems some people have had too much caffeine

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          My oh my such lively debate here. I believe the OP of this thread needed help looking for a distro, yet now it turned into a debate over kernels

Seems some people have had too much caffeine
          I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            I challenge you to find a thread in these very forums that have not turned into some kind of debates
            Yep that's true...happens on just about any forum. This one sure has so many passionate members indeed

Comment

well there is a nice thread on gentoo otw about the experiences with arch. A lot of nice shortcomings and brain damage listed there... if you are still interessted, that is.

If someone does not want to use gentoo, I recommend opensuse or slackware. In that order. opensuse because it is easy, slackware because it is pure.

Comment

I don't know about your graphic card. I am running a radeon 3100 that runs catalyst.

I have used many of the major distro's and I have found for working out of the box with ease, stability and having acccess to all of ubuntu's repos LinuxMint is it.

I am enjoying my computer again and have left the windows world behind

LinuxMint.com - either - gnome or kde and the a number of window managers install from synaptic

Comment

Working...
                X