Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine
    replied
    God do I hate grub. It's only good if you never touch anything to do with the boot process. Even updating my OS can break it.

Leave a comment:

• Shtirlic
    replied
    I am using secure boot with UKI for 2 years now on Arch btw, the only current problem is OptionRom may be signed with MS keys, see here https://github.com/Foxboron/sbctl/wiki/FAQ for possible workarounds , sbctl is a tool for signing UEFI bundles/files.
    For now you can enroll your keys with MS keys to make OptionRom work correctly, if no OptionRom present or don't needed, you can enroll just your own keys to sign the UEFI images.

PS systemd-boot has the menu and all other stuff if you want to select images or do custom things.

‚Äč

Leave a comment:

• sharpjs
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    systemd-boot can boot images from ext 4, xfs and btrfs as long as it has an efi driver, which are already available.
    I'm interested in doing this. Are you using drivers from here, or others?

Leave a comment:

• atmartens
    replied
    Originally posted by The the View Post
    You still you UEFI when booting into GRUB. Just because you add some open source code on top of proprietary code doesn't make it open source.
    And? GRUB is the abstraction layer we do control over the hardware we don't. It's still an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post

I think for people who are still using GRUB, which is the majority of Linux users, the UEFI bootloader is grubx64.efi
    For any distro that supports Secure Boot (AFAIK), in an SB-supporting install, shim is the first thing run. It runs grub. This is because shim is the bit that's signed with the SB keys. Everything after it is signed with a distro key, and shim trusts the distro's key. It's basically there to perform a trust pivot.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rose
    replied
    Originally posted by User29 View Post
    Wow. I have started with LILO, then grub took over. And now it seems grub will be gone soon.
    I started with LI

And if you get that, you also went through the pain I did more than once.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

systemd-boot can boot images from ext 4, xfs and btrfs as long as it has an efi driver, which are already available. My kernel stubs are in a ext4 partition

dont need any pre boot environment
    You just listed 3 files systems I don't use. Two of those three aren't supported by systemd-homed. That's what I meant in that other thread about systemd limitations and a protocol so there could be alternative methods and ways of doing things systemd upstream doesn't care to support.

Even with extra EFI file systems people will still run into GRUB's limitations since some of them are using the GRUB FS drivers. That's worth taking note of if you boot from a ZFS root like myself. It's the difference between limiting your pool to ZFS 0.8.0 or ZFS 2.2. That would be like being stuck with BTRFS from 2015 and not being able to use Zstd compression.

That's why I think the ZFSBootMenu approach is better than systemd-boot -- it runs an actual Linux kernel with the same file systems and drivers we use on our running systems so we don't have to deal with the differences between bootloader drivers and system drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

There's also the ZFSBootMenu approach where a very minimal Linux OS is booted by the EFI which is used to load a boot environment from a zpool. In Fedora's case, change a ZFS pool to Stratis, BTRFS, etc. That allows you to keep the EFI small in size, use boot environments, and you can place kernels an environment's /boot folder. Configured correctly, all you'd have to do is boot up your last working environment if an update messes something up.
    systemd-boot can boot images from ext 4, xfs and btrfs as long as it has an efi driver, which are already available. My kernel stubs are in a ext4 partition

dont need any pre boot environment

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamW View Post

The shim already exists (and is the first thing run on boot of any UEFI install of Fedora or almost any Linux distro, actually). That's not the new part here.
    I think for people who are still using GRUB, which is the majority of Linux users, the UEFI bootloader is grubx64.efi

Leave a comment:

• fallingcats
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but I remember hearing about self contained EFI files with the kernel initrd and command line built into them as a single file. is this a further development on that? I don't remember them called UKI and the arch wiki oldest entry on UKI is from 2020 but I remember toying with them on my 2009 macbook so that would tops have been on 2012
    That's exactly what what this is. I'm also currently using it on arch (albeit unsigned) and it works perfectly fine. In my case I'm using it in conjunction with Ventoy, so a singular .efi file per kernel is much easier to handle than getting Ventoy to boot it using a traditional approach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X