Fedora 40 Eyes Dropping GNOME X11 Session Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    No you can get newer numbers from Mozilla and it about 14 percent wayland now.
    Yeah sure, suddenly, after 3 wayland updates that broke absolutely everything and started making firefox and chrome crash within a minute on wayland, that usage doubled. SURE you didn't just pull that figure out your arse.
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    When I say numbers should be taken with a grain of salt and you don't agree you just told me I should take those numbers as fact because you are going to mSparks and then I will proceed to beat you over the head with them.
    You took them as fact until you realised that 4% of 1% is sweet fuck all users, and the other 90%+ have already tried wayland and gone back to X11.
    Windows Vista Capable
    were NOT machines shipped with vista.
    That lawsuit was about selling machines without vista and gpu acceleration, but the promise vista would work with them.

A „Windows Vista® Capable“ PC must fulfil the following technical conditions:
    • modern processor with at least 800 MH
    • 512 MB system memory (RAM)
    • DirectX 9-compatible graphics processor
    Last edited by mSparks; 29 September 2023, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      Yeah sure, suddenly, after 3 wayland updates that broke absolutely everything and started making firefox and chrome crash within a minute on wayland, that usage doubled. SURE you didn't just pull that figure out your arse.​
      ​No I did not the numbers are public if you know where to look.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      You took them as fact until you realised that 4% of 1% is sweet fuck all users, and the other 90%+ have already tried wayland and gone back to X11.
      That presuming that Linux users change their configurations. I have machines still running X11 because they have upgraded in place for over a decade. Something else the Mozilla numbers also show. The majority of new each year to the number is Wayland. As I said you want these numbers taken with a grain of salt because they under mine your point completely.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
      were NOT machines shipped with vista.
      That lawsuit was about selling machines without vista and gpu acceleration, but the promise vista would work with them.
      The law suit discovery did not stop at just the Windows Vista Capable machines. The case requested and got windows Vista crash metrics and other dealing documents.

Nice graphic there. Nvidia drivers being broken on a platform change is nothing new.. Also that writeup includes incorrect presume that Nvidia made up the lion share of computer sold in shipped with Vista. The lion share was in fact Intel graphics there are other PC sales metrics out there. ATI and Nvidia drivers both make a very poor showing. There are other documents released in that discovery.

So Linux world doing a change to Wayland and Nvidia users having a bad time this is Nvidia being the same pain in the but they have been for over 2 decades now. As history of Nvidia interactions with Microsoft says we should just ignore Nvidia users issues because in time Nvidia will get their but in order when they have to.

Comment

So Linux world doing a change to Wayland and Nvidia users having a bad time this is Nvidia being the same pain in the but they have been for over 2 decades now. As history of Nvidia interactions with Microsoft says we should just ignore Nvidia users issues because in time Nvidia will get their but in order when they have to.
        You sure that is not just the fact there are 5 times more Nvidia users than AMD to actually report bugs, rather than AMD being less buggy.

Because I get to see driver bug reports for AMD linux mac and windows and nvidia windows and linux.
        exlcuding macos, the AMD driver bugs are generally much more severe and numerous than NV, and hang around much longer.
        Last edited by mSparks; 29 September 2023, 11:58 AM.

Comment

You sure that is not just the fact there are 5 times more Nvidia users than AMD to actually report bugs, rather than AMD being less buggy.
          You have just ignored the majority. The biggest GPU vendor by far is in fact Intel. 90%+ of PC produced every year are for the business market majority of these don't have dgpus. 80% of x86 computers don't have a GPU and depend on igpu or APU with the majority being igpu in general.

Nvidia has 80% of the dgpu market that only makes up 20% of the market in fact. So a over all 15% installed system presence.

Intel 8.8 percent has all their GPU and Chipset bugs under the same number from Microsoft. Only one vendor when Vista released happened to have Vista approved drivers that was Intel. That is also 80% of the machines that shipped with Vista had Intel graphics and no dgpu. So yes ATI and Nvidia in the vista capable released numbers have horrible number of crashes.

Steam survey numbers for Linux users when you subtract the steam deck there is more AMD and Intel users than Nvidia users with Linux Installs. The 5 times more Nvidia users don't apply once you get into Linux Desktop users for dGPU. At best Nvidia and AMD dGPU users are equal on the Linux desktop at worse Nvidia is the minority. Yes everything basically flips on head once you get into Linux Desktop stats vs Windows Desktop stats and they are both X86 platforms.

Nvidia users on Linux don't have the market share they think have. The real market share on the Linux Desktop says that parties like Redhat should not care about Nvidia users issues at all.
          Last edited by oiaohm; 29 September 2023, 12:21 PM.

Comment

You have just ignored the majority. The biggest GPU vendor by far is in fact Intel. 90%+ of PC produced every year are for the business market majority of these don't have dgpus. 80% of x86 computers don't have a GPU and depend on igpu or APU with the majority being igpu in general.

Nvidia has 80% of the dgpu market that only makes up 20% of the market in fact. So a over all 15% installed system presence.

Intel 8.8 percent has all their GPU and Chipset bugs under the same number from Microsoft. Only one vendor when Vista released happened to have Vista approved drivers that was Intel. That is also 80% of the machines that shipped with Vista had Intel graphics and no dgpu. So yes ATI and Nvidia in the vista capable released numbers have horrible number of crashes.

Steam survey numbers for Linux users when you subtract the steam deck there is more AMD and Intel users than Nvidia users with Linux Installs. The 5 times more Nvidia users don't apply once you get into Linux Desktop users for dGPU. At best Nvidia and AMD dGPU users are equal on the Linux desktop at worse Nvidia is the minority. Yes everything basically flips on head once you get into Linux Desktop stats vs Windows Desktop stats and they are both X86 platforms.
            indeed. And gpu acceleration on wayland doesnt work for Intel uses at all. they are generally just fine with that, chances are it isnt running any display server.
            Nvidia users on Linux don't have the market share they think have. The real market share on the Linux Desktop says that parties like Redhat should not care about Nvidia users issues at all.
            depends what you mean by Linux.
            Fedora is generally used by experienced developers with some kind of red hat background who use Linux for the "day job" generally AI, HPC and Android dev mostly nvidia for the gpu acceleration.
            Android is by far the most popular not just linux distribution but operating system in use today, on billions upon billions of devices, that will likely never adopt wayland, mostly qualcom chips aiui, with a hint of nvidia tegra.
            SteamOS is exclusively AMD, but they dont even know fedora exists.
            Lots of/most people install linux on old PCs to use as a home server, if they run a display server at all they dont care how well it works as long as they can open firefox for a few minutes to read about how to fix whatever broke. They probably got X11 forwarding up and running 3 or 4 years ago and waypipe will be fine - but instead of reporting bugs they either ignore them or distro hop. Fedora picked up a lot of ubuntu users escaping various old wayland bugs that way.
            Last edited by mSparks; 29 September 2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Fedora is generally used by experienced developers with some kind of red hat background who use Linux for the "day job" generally AI, HPC and Android dev mostly nvidia for the gpu acceleration.
              Package download stats don't agree with that. 95% of fedora installs don't have any of the parts do AI/HPC or Android development. Less than 30% of Fedora installs have Nvidia drivers. Please note Fedora Nvidia driver count is higher than other distributions. Debian is less than 6% have Nvidia drivers installed. Yes times roughly by 2 based of of xorg-server installed 12% of debian/ubuntu desktop users have a Nvidia card and this is back to normal levels for a Linux distribution.

I see your problem your argument is based on a stack of very bad assumes.

Once you start looking at Linux distribution stats on packages Nvidia usage on Linux is not that popular. AMD and Intel GPU usage is way more popular.

Nvidia is not the dominate GPU acceleration on Linux. Its kind of surprise with Nvidia compute market share right.

Yes 70% of fedora uses are AMD/Intel graphics exclusively. Yes Debian and Ubuntu is like 85% are AMD/Intel graphics exclusively. Ubuntu/Debian you have to allow for exclusive raspberry pi and so on graphics for the difference.

mSparks you really do need to get you hands on installed package stats and start reading them. They start telling very different story to everything you have been presuming.

Remember how you have been saying AMD and Intel are garbage please remember now that majority of distribution Linux desktop users that is all they have.

Comment

Package download stats don't agree with that. 95% of fedora installs don't have any of the parts do AI/HPC or Android development.
                I'm surprised even 5% of Fedora users are on the 5 year old android stuff that fedora ships. Thats really high considering google and nvidia put out updates and fixes direct almost on a weekly basis

Comment

I'm surprised even 5% of Fedora users are on the 5 year old android stuff that fedora ships. Thats really high considering google and nvidia put out updates and fixes direct almost on a weekly basis
                  don't have any of the parts
                  Wrote that for key reason. I was not just looking for Android development parts or AI/HPC direct parts I was also looking at the dependencies those parts need to be installed so they can be installed so it did not matter if the user was using newer versions or not I would be counting them.

5% is the max possible doing that kind of work with Fedora. This is the problem you never have gone looking for the numbers. I was also quite surprise how low that number is I was expect to see like 20-30 percent.

This is why the counter arguments against Wayland failing so badly with those making distributions. Those making distributions are looking at what packages users are using to allocate developers and what kind of work they have to be doing to optimize their testing systems.

Basically attempting to make a argument for a distribution not to do something you need to understand the metrics they have so you don't go and say something that by the metrics they have is just straight up stupid. Distributions would not be planing todo something if they had metrics that said this was going to harm 85% of their user base.

Now if it 15% or less that going to be harmed basically lets go ahead. Yes Fedora 40 looking to drop X11 support completely says by their metrics that going to effect less than 15% of their userbase. When you dig into the numbers way less than 15% of their userbase.

Comment

don't have any of the parts
                    Wrote that for key reason. I was not just looking for Android development parts or AI/HPC direct parts I was also looking at the dependencies those parts need to be installed so they can be installed so it did not matter if the user was using newer versions or not I would be counting them.

5% is the max possible doing that kind of work with Fedora. This is the problem you never have gone looking for the numbers. I was also quite surprise how low that number is I was expect to see like 20-30 percent.

This is why the counter arguments against Wayland failing so badly with those making distributions. Those making distributions are looking at what packages users are using to allocate developers and what kind of work they have to be doing to optimize their testing systems.

Basically attempting to make a argument for a distribution not to do something you need to understand the metrics they have so you don't go and say something that by the metrics they have is just straight up stupid. Distributions would not be planing todo something if they had metrics that said this was going to harm 85% of their user base.

Now if it 15% or less that going to be harmed basically lets go ahead. Yes Fedora 40 looking to drop X11 support completely says by their metrics that going to effect less than 15% of their userbase. When you dig into the numbers way less than 15% of their userbase.
                    only 5% of fedora users have kernel-devel installed? (the only dependancy for nvidia, android studio has none, its ships with its own jvm and pulls updates directly from the google repositories)
                    find that very hard to believe. sounds more likely you think there are fedora repo dependencies that dont exist.

Comment

only 5% of fedora users have kernel-devel installed? (the only dependancy for nvidia, android studio has none, its ships with its own jvm and pulls updates directly from the google repositories)
                      find that very hard to believe. sounds more likely you think there are fedora repo dependencies that dont exist.

Required libraries for 64-bit machines
                      If you are running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, you need to install some 32-bit libraries with the following command:
                      sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 lib32z1 libbz2-1.0:i386

If you are running 64-bit Fedora, the command is:
                      sudo yum install zlib.i686 ncurses-libs.i686 bzip2-libs.i686
                      Android studio does have dependencies. Having thing 32 bit dependencies in fact made it simpler to detect. Proton and steam client ships with it own complete 32 bit library set independent to distribution. Also spot the 32 bit libraries wine don't use there is a library that is android studio dependency that insanely rare to be found installed in it 32 bit version but you almost never(less than 1 percent of systems) but find the 64 bit version not installed on a Fedora system is basically unheard of.

Nvidia CUDA has more requirements than just kernel-devel same with other HPC/AI parts.

kernel-devel is on about 30% of Fedora systems. Debian and related systems that falls to under 15%. Of course kernel-devel could be on fedora systems of other reasons than Nvidia drivers but that gives you upper limit.

Nvidia install documentation is not nice enough to list the dependencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X