Fedora's RPM Fusion Adds Experimental Intel IPU6 Web Camera Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's RPM Fusion Adds Experimental Intel IPU6 Web Camera Support

Phoronix: Fedora's RPM Fusion Adds Experimental Intel IPU6 Web Camera Support

The Intel IPU6 web camera tech found in Alder Lake laptops and newer has unfortunately no upstream Linux driver yet and has resulted in kernel developers avoiding these laptops where web camera support is needed. Intel maintains an out-of-tree IPU6 Linux driver while they have been making progress toward ultimately getting it upstreamed. To ease the situation for Fedora Linux users, an experimental IPU6 software stack has now been added to the RPM Fusion repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Many thanks to Hans for his work but... fuck Intel and fuck this shit!
    Sticking to AMD laptops for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      Sticking to AMD laptops for the foreseeable future.
      I wish it were so straightforward... In the last month I've been hit by both

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217239

And

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1974#note_1890450

Which means simple quality of life features like suspend and vaapi won't work. More than once I had to take out a
      burning laptop from backpack, and lose work while AMD graphics card locks up forcing a power cycle. Not everyone has the time to bisect kernel committed and root cause the bug, sometimes I just want hardware that work

Comment

Originally posted by bzs0 View Post

I wish it were so straightforward... In the last month I've been hit by both

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217239

And

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1974#note_1890450

Which means simple quality of life features like suspend and vaapi won't work. More than once I had to take out a
        burning laptop from backpack, and lose work while AMD graphics card locks up forcing a power cycle. Not everyone has the time to bisect kernel committed and root cause the bug, sometimes I just want hardware that work
        This is exactly why you shouldn't be using Linus's tree on anything you depend on and not afraid to get damaged because of power management bugs. It's not stable and barely tested. YODF

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

This is exactly why you shouldn't be using Linus's tree on anything you depend on and not afraid to get damaged because of power management bugs. It's not stable and barely tested. YODF
          If my understanding is accurate, Linus' tree should be less hacky than what distros tipically ship with. I may be wrong, but the idea is that they only implement stuff when it's ready. Shouldn't it work better in terms of stability, at the expense of less features?

Comment

Originally posted by bzs0 View Post

Which means simple quality of life features like suspend and vaapi won't work. More than once I had to take out a burning laptop from backpack, and lose work
            I heard from a YouTube channel called "linustechtips" something like that happens with windows, I believe it was in video about a laptop manufactured by a company called "apple"

Comment

almost everyone who reported problem is using kernel from their distributions, no idea where your accusation comes from. YODF for jumping to conclusions unless you mean ditching Linux completely.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

If my understanding is accurate, Linus' tree should be less hacky than what distros tipically ship with. I may be wrong, but the idea is that they only implement stuff when it's ready. Shouldn't it work better in terms of stability, at the expense of less features?
                That's not the best assumption to make. While all the individual commits might be well tested on their submitter's machine, they haven't necessarily been tested together. Testing it all together is what the RC phase of the kernel release cycle is for.

But all those links showed distribution kernels. Arch, Ubuntu, and Fedora were the ones I saw doing a quick skim.

Comment

Almost everyone who confirmed the bug was using distro kernels. Shouldn't you also use those on anything you depend on? If so, then I totally understand why it's never been the year of Linux…

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Almost everyone who confirmed the bug was using distro kernels. Shouldn't you also use those on anything you depend on? If so, then I totally understand why it's never been the year of Linux…
                    ANd never will be.

Where are all the AMD fanboys who were boasting and bragging about how their drivers were supreme because they are now part of the upstream kernel and Mesa and therefore will always be good for use?

Now this upstream driver is causing the card to lock up within minutes of a cold boot without dpm = high set? Good enough for the trashbin, more like!

Comment

Working...
                    X