Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mageia 9 Beta 2 Released With Linux 6.3 Kernel, KDE Plasma 5.27 + GNOME 44 Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post
    since the distro still advance there must be users and contributors.
    still, I haven't heard anyone using or even mentioning it in years.

Anyone here?
    Happy user here.
    Have been using Mandrake/Mandriva from 1999 till 2010. The turmoil around Mageia as a non-profit left me in doubt and I switched to Fedora (which was a mess and didn't do system upgrades at that time). So I switched to Debian a few years later. This was during the transition to systemd, which slowly broke my system. So I went back to Mageia since the grass at the neighbours wasn't very green. I could not be happier.

Urpmi is highly valued inside the Mageia community, system upgrades have worked since the year 2000, and they work inplace, from the running system. Drakconf is a system config tool that hardly exists in other distro's, there is only SuSE with Yast. Choosing a desktop is straightforward and most things I want/desire are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Polleke View Post
      Happy user here.
      Have been using Mandrake/Mandriva from 1999 till 2010. The turmoil around Mageia as a non-profit left me in doubt and I switched to Fedora (which was a mess and didn't do system upgrades at that time). So I switched to Debian a few years later. This was during the transition to systemd, which slowly broke my system. So I went back to Mageia since the grass at the neighbours wasn't very green. I could not be happier.

Urpmi is highly valued inside the Mageia community, system upgrades have worked since the year 2000, and they work inplace, from the running system. Drakconf is a system config tool that hardly exists in other distro's, there is only SuSE with Yast. Choosing a desktop is straightforward and most things I want/desire are available.
      What made you choose Mageia over openSUSE Leap? They sound quite similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
        What made you choose Mageia over openSUSE Leap? They sound quite similar.
        I only have used SuSe for half a year in 1999, before using Mandrake. It didn't appeal to me then. I cannot explain it that well. Yast wasn't for me then, you either did everything through Yast or you did everything manually. With Drakconf you can still edit config files manually and Drakconf will pick it up just fine. It was mostly an emotional decision back then and I didn't even consider SuSE at the time of the last switch.

Comment

I've been using Mageia since it was Mandrake 7.2 in late 2000. Redhat 7.0 had just come out and it was a buggy miserable mess, it had a glitch that would hang the kernel in something like 34 days, but Mageia had urpmi which made the package dependencies much easier to handle than plain old rpm, it also incorporated installed packages into the the application menu which was also very convenient.

And now a young person's life since then, I'm still using Mageia, and it's a very polished and stable platform. I've got a Rembrandt laptop and Beelink mini-pci with an Intel N100 processor, both of which are very very new and thus I've been running Mageia 9 on them. There was a kernel problem with the Wifi on the Beelink so I issued a bug report and Mageia had the problem fixed the next day.

They've got a working 32 bit distribution, and lots of desktops, it's a great distro, either that or I'm so stuck in my ways from using Mageia for 23 years I can't learn anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            since the distro still advance there must be users and contributors.
            still, I haven't heard anyone using or even mentioning it in years.

Anyone here?
            Use it on 4 PCs here and loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by microchip8 View Post

Use it on 4 PCs here and loving it!
              thank you and Polleke.
              glad to see active users!

I used to use Mandrake in early 2000s during my distro-hopping phase and it was good!

I'm going to spin up a VM to give Mageia a try this weekend

Comment

Don't forget there's also another fork - PCLinuxOS. Forked from Mandriva 2007 (Mageia: 2010, OpenMandriva: 2011). Judging my the forum activity it seems to be the most active of the bunch. It's got some interesting differences (e.g. using APT-RPM as a package manager and still sticking to SysV init scripts) but what I didn't like when trying it in a VM is how it had several non-free programs preinstalled.

Comment

Working...
                X