Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mageia 9 Beta 2 Released With Linux 6.3 Kernel, KDE Plasma 5.27 + GNOME 44 Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 9 Beta 2 Released With Linux 6.3 Kernel, KDE Plasma 5.27 + GNOME 44 Desktops

Phoronix: Mageia 9 Beta 2 Released With Linux 6.3 Kernel, KDE Plasma 5.27 + GNOME 44 Desktops

Mageia 9 beta 2 has been released with this Mandriva/Mandrake-lineage Linux distribution nearing its next major release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

since the distro still advance there must be users and contributors.
    still, I haven't heard anyone using or even mentioning it in years.

Anyone here?

Comment

Very exciting, it's been too long since the last stable release.

I'm happy to read more news about Mageia and OpenMandriva recently although it could be just a perception bias.

The one problem I see is that none of them is a big name like Mandrake once was. In fact with the split between Mageia and OpenMandriva, developers and users have also split up and are spreading thin. Both of them seem to have a similar amount of developers, users and mindshare but none of them is big enough to be one of the major Linux distros.

I do hope that these two distros can find a way to work together somehow, e.g. OpenMandriva ROME as the rolling release upstream and Mageia as the stable and well-tested downstream. I don't know.

I tried them both in a VM and had a positive impression. Mageia seems to be the more reliable choice, the one I'd run on my work computer. But OpenMandriva has a rolling release, clearer focus on KDE, and comes with Flatpak preinstalled, which are all things I find exciting.

One more thought: with openSUSE Leap probably disappearing soon, there is an opening in the market for a KDE-focused stable/rock-solid distro. There's only really Kubuntu otherwise, but of course there's some major differences e.g. Kubuntu has Snaps which some people don't like and Mageia has the Control Center (like Yast) to do things which would require the command line in other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
        I do hope that these two distros can find a way to work together somehow, e.g. OpenMandriva ROME as the rolling release upstream and Mageia as the stable and well-tested downstream. I don't know.
        IMHO OpenMandriva and Mageia are very different

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          since the distro still advance there must be users and contributors.
          still, I haven't heard anyone using or even mentioning it in years.

Anyone here?
          Although not as popular as Ubuntu (the most dominant Linux in the cloud and IoT) mageia gets a significantly higher rating on distrowatch:
          Ubuntu: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?re...&distro=ubuntu
          mageia: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?re...&distro=mageia

The main assets of mageia:

- as user-friendly as Ubuntu and Mint (even more user-friendly in some areas)
          - similar in stability to Debian
          - quite a lot of standard packages and support for Flatpak and AppImage and other package management standards.
          - RPM support which makes almost all proprietary RPM software perfectly compatible with mageia​
          - Snappy for everyday use, I think it starts faster than Ubuntu and Fedora and the XFCE desktop is also snappy on mageia.
          - mageia control center (like YaST)

Comment

[...] One more thought: with openSUSE Leap probably disappearing soon, there is an opening in the market for a KDE-focused stable/rock-solid distro. There's only really Kubuntu otherwise, but of course there's some major differences [...]
            Also about Kubuntu: it has the advantages of Linux, the ones of being free/libre software, and also:
            - Easy installation.
            - Comes preinstalled in several laptops and desktops. (Tuxedo, Slimbook, laptopWithLinux.com, Kubuntu Focus, Vant and other companies).
            - Technical support that can be hired. (That's very important in the workplace).
            - An outstanding number of packages and PPAs. Backports PPA.
            - Good hardware recognition.
            - Everything is highly customizable.
            - Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Yes. Mageia has a completely different release cycle, they try to focus on stability at the expense of new updates. They try to be something like Debian Stable in the world of .rpm distributions.
              In addition, they are very conservative, still using old Perl applications that go back several decades, and still using urpmi as their main manager - even though others have long since forgotten about it. They use Firefox ESR instead of new releases etc. Also releases of kde or qt, mesa or kernel are slow, here too bet on stability.
              While OpenMandriva opted for the new Rolling Release model, where there are fresh packages similar to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. In addition, they were the first to use the Clang compiler, later they were the first to build packages with optimizations - first LTO and later PGO. And there is also a new znver edition dedicated to owners of AMD processors. OpenMandriva is for AMD what ClearOS is for Intel.
              For example, Mageia still supports 32-bit, while OpenMandriva abandoned them and instead has been dynamically developing the ARM architecture for years or, for some time also RISCV.
              Instead of urpmi, they switched to the new DNF, and today they have both dnf4 and dnf5, but as an alternative known from OpenSUSE also Zypper. They were probably the first to implement zstd compression and other mechanisms that only found their way to other distributions years later. They offer qt6 libs right now and very soon should release experimental Plasma6 iso.
              The development of these two dystemes is radically different and should not be compared with each other.

I'm happy to read more news about Mageia and OpenMandriva recently although it could be just a perception bias.

The one problem I see is that none of them is a big name like Mandrake once was. In fact with the split between Mageia and OpenMandriva, developers and users have also split up and are spreading thin. Both of them seem to have a similar amount of developers, users and mindshare but none of them is big enough to be one of the major Linux distros.

The problem is that you can't work with someone who doesn't want to work with you and tries to undermine your position at every opportunity.
              That's why I think that any talks about merging the two systems will never happen - I'm saying this because of the hate wave towards the developers who stayed with Mandriva until the end and when the failing company announced that the development of the distribution would continue, but in the form of an open community, which later took the name OpenMandriva. That's why I think it's a closed chapter and OpenMandriva won't want to work with Mageia after all this.
              Nevertheless, I wish the distros good luck in their further development.​

Originally posted by Classical View Post

Although not as popular as Ubuntu (the most dominant Linux in the cloud and IoT) mageia gets a significantly higher rating on distrowatch:
              I wouldn't rely on the statistics from DistroWatch so much... We know how they work and they are not very reliable.

Last edited by xpris; 24 May 2023, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Yes. Mageia has a completely different release cycle, they try to focus on stability at the expense of new updates. They try to be something like Debian Stable in the world of .rpm distributions.
                In addition, they are very conservative, still using old Perl applications that go back several decades, and still using urpmi as their main manager - even though others have long since forgotten about it. They use Firefox ESR instead of new releases etc. Also releases of kde or qt, mesa or kernel are slow, here too bet on stability.
                While OpenMandriva opted for the new Rolling Release model, where there are fresh packages similar to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. In addition, they were the first to use the Clang compiler, later they were the first to build packages with optimizations - first LTO and later PGO. And there is also a new znver edition dedicated to owners of AMD processors. OpenMandriva is for AMD what ClearOS is for Intel.
                For example, Mageia still supports 32-bit, while OpenMandriva abandoned them and instead has been dynamically developing the ARM architecture for years or, for some time also RISCV.
                Instead of urpmi, they switched to the new DNF, and today they have both dnf4 and dnf5, but as an alternative known from OpenSUSE also Zypper. They were probably the first to implement zstd compression and other mechanisms that only found their way to other distributions years later. They offer qt6 libs right now and very soon should release experimental Plasma6 iso.
                The development of these two dystemes is radically different and should not be compared with each other.
                Very interesting. So OpenMandriva is very forward-looking, trying to come up with new stuff and open to new technologies, while Mageia is very conservative and much more similar to the "old" Mandriva with urpmi and the old installer etc. It seems that they don't have anything in common anymore except for the Control Center and the focus on KDE. Also it really sounds like a fan of the Mandriva of the olden days should be happier with Mageia which has changed much less.

The problem is that you can't work with someone who doesn't want to work with you and tries to undermine your position at every opportunity.
                That's why I think that any talks about merging the two systems will never happen - I'm saying this because of the hate wave towards the developers who stayed with Mandriva until the end and when the failing company announced that the development of the distribution would continue, but in the form of an open community, which later took the name OpenMandriva. That's why I think it's a closed chapter and OpenMandriva won't want to work with Mageia after all this.
                Nevertheless, I wish the distros good luck in their further development.​

So the conflict comes from the fact that some Mandriva developers were let go and founded Mageia, while some others stayed until the end and founded OpenMandriva? Was there any deeper lore? Because if I got made redundant from my job and the company goes bankrupt 2 years later I wouldn't feel cross towards those of my colleagues who managed to keep their job for longer.

Is this really still a conflict 10 years later? Surely people should have forgotten or forgiven each other, or there would have been a natural churn of developers so that the new guys don't care about the old guys' politics.

Also I read elsewhere between the lines that OpenMandriva has ties to ROSA (another Mandriva fork, from Russia), is that still the case, and has it got to do anything with the "split"?

Was it the case that one of them (OM or Mageia) was more open to the idea of merging while the other one was blocking any attempts? Or same defensiveness on both sides?

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Always nice to see people saying “it's/they are different” without explaining the differences…

Comment

You mean like openSUSE Leap? Or Red Hat?

Comment

Working...
                    X