No announcement yet.

Fedora Onyx To Become An Official Fedora Linux Immutable Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immutable isn’t new, macOS has been immutable for a while, same with Android and SteamOS for the steam deck. I’m currently using Solus which is stateless and will transition to an immutable distro when they use Serpent OS for their base in Solus 5.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
      [/LIST]Feel free to ask again if any of this was unclear or you want to know more.
      I didn't quite understand the subtle nuances of every thing you wrote, can you explain it again, in a slightly different way?

Comment

What a suck ass distro:

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

As described above, there are known issues with manual partitioning on Fedora Silverblue, and it should be used with caution. The following notes are intended as hints for those attempting it, and should not be treated as recommended practice. Automatic partitioning is recommended.

With Fedora Silverblue, only certain mounts can be manually specified as partitions. These include:

​The Fedora installer is not aware of these restrictions and will accept custom partitions without error, even if they are incompatible with Fedora Silverblue.
        This is so laughably sad. Linux has always been about choice and doing what you want with your OS, except for when you want to do something simple such as manually partitioning a drive.

Even worse, despite the developers knowing there are restrictions, they still allow the installer to accept any partitioning scheme, even if it breaks the OS.

Why would anyone ever use this garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          What a suck ass distro:

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

This is so laughably sad. Linux has always been about choice and doing what you want with your OS, except for when you want to do something simple such as manually partitioning a drive.

Even worse, despite the developers knowing there are restrictions, they still allow the installer to accept any partitioning scheme, even if it breaks the OS.

Why would anyone ever use this garbage?
          I thought Linux was a kernel, OS developers can use it in which ever they want since it’s open source. If it doesn’t fit your needs there’s plenty of others you can use.

Comment

Technically, Linux does refer to the kernel but since the early days, the term Linux based OSes have been referred to as Linux.

Comment

i wonder if - with time, immutable distros will make it easier to debug complex bugs.

problems with one package can be easily identified on a distro resembling your reference system, as long as it has the same version of specific package installed . but if the bug happens due to interaction between more than one programs/libraries at specific versions, this approach might make it easier to reproduce test cases, and in some cases - avoid the problem altogether (which might also hide a whole array of bugs from the developers).

Comment

I didn't quite understand the subtle nuances of every thing you wrote, can you explain it again, in a slightly different way?
                This is so pathetic. I was unsure if I left anything crucial out due to being pretty familiar with both systems myself, and you take it as bait for trolling. And you didn't even bother to trim the quote correctly.

Comment

Don’t be that guy. This is how we end up with “RTFM” people.

Comment

Obviously you guys did not get the Fight Club reference.

Comment

Working...
                    X