X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael

Just use Gentoo.
    Gentoo is dead, long live NixOS.
    You can send your pull-requests to the nixpkgs repo pretty easily, one of the reasons it has so many packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Copperhead View Post

Mostly new GNOME major releases take quite some time (about 4-8 weeks).
      The Gnome major updates usually rest in an unstable repo until version X.1 is released, after that the dev promotes it to stable. So no time issue, just a stabilization issue. In my personal Gnome experience, a very welcome one, because extensions take weeks to update and still break with most major updates.
      If you really want to have that update as early as possible, just enable the unstable repo and you get it without looking elsewhere or compiling it yourself.

Comment

Just a heads-up, when looking for packages, you will still get many hits pointing to "community" packages. They will now say "404 - not found". Just edit "community" -> "extra" in the URL and you're good, the package is still there.

Comment

Just use Gentoo.
          We're not all server admins. Lack of skill + the fact that I need systemD for snap / binaries keeps me from Gentoo. If I had to settle for something none systemD I'd probably head for freebsd anyway and skip the idea of proprietary binaries altogether

Comment

Originally posted by Copperhead View Post

Ohh okay. My bad. Should check the source links more often.
            Most projects have taken that approach... migrating to a new system is challenging, and not all features of the new platform will be enabled from day 1...

Comment

Originally posted by BS86 View Post

The Gnome major updates usually rest in an unstable repo until version X.1 is released, after that the dev promotes it to stable. So no time issue, just a stabilization issue. In my personal Gnome experience, a very welcome one, because extensions take weeks to update and still break with most major updates.
              If you really want to have that update as early as possible, just enable the unstable repo and you get it without looking elsewhere or compiling it yourself.
              Extensions breaking should NEVER be a reason to avoid updating GNOME, in my opinion. Extensions are optional, not everyone is using them (especially with 44 which includes most stuff people needed extensions for), and people can use the latest version while waiting for the extension app to update them automatically when available. For all reasons they have GNOME major updates lagging, extensions should never make the list. And let's not forget that not all extensions break with each update....

Comment

I'm not sure I like the declarative approach and it's the reason I've been avoiding things like Docker, because they introduce complexity where it isn't needed.
                as a former arch user i'd say it is. at least for servers. my desktop still runs arch.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Extensions breaking should NEVER be a reason to avoid updating GNOME, in my opinion. Extensions are optional, not everyone is using them (especially with 44 which includes most stuff people needed extensions for), and people can use the latest version while waiting for the extension app to update them automatically when available. For all reasons they have GNOME major updates lagging, extensions should never make the list. And let's not forget that not all extensions break with each update....
                  FWIW, I've been experiencing some very weird window management/rendering bugs since upgrading to Ubuntu 23.04 (which uses Gnome 44.0). I'm hoping that 44.1 fixes these issues, but all to say there is good reason to wait for 44.1.

Comment

Working...
                  X