Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Completes Its Git Migration

Phoronix: Arch Linux Completes Its Git Migration

Arch Linux on Friday began its Git repository migration and as part of that discontinuing SVN access and some changes to how their package repositories are setup. Arch Linux's Git migration has now been successfully completed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This still seems kind of incomplete.

I can't find an issue tracker or any way to provide pull requests. Or at least a way to fork a package repository to create a change I want to add as pull request.

If this is supposed to stay that way, there's no benefit for community engagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Copperhead View Post
      This still seems kind of incomplete.

I can't find an issue tracker or any way to provide pull requests. Or at least a way to fork a package repository to create a change I want to add as pull request.

If this is supposed to stay that way, there's no benefit for community engagement.
      You should try reading the announcement
      Note that the bugtracker is still flyspray and that merge requests are not accepted as of now. We intend to open the issue tracker and merge requests on the Gitlab package repos in the near future.​

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

You should try reading the announcement
        Ohh okay. My bad. Should check the source links more often.

I'm really looking forward to this.

I take everything back. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
          Just use Gentoo.
          This is sarcasm right, it has to be. I feel like I am illiterate, this as an answer does not seem productive or helpful.

Comment

Just use Gentoo.
            No, thanks. Aside from some updates not coming in fast enough for my taste, I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Comment

What updates are not coming in fast enough for your taste? Are you aware that Gentoo allows you to unmask specific versions or even git builds? It's Arch that is inflexible.
              Mostly new GNOME major releases take quite some time (about 4-8 weeks). So I'm a little pissed about it every 6 months. I start looking for alternative distributions, eventually figure out everything else is worse and just chill a few more weeks

It's not even about not having the latest version right away. It's more about not knowing what takes so long. Is it just the dev not having the time right now. Or is there a major problem, which prevents stable packages.

Comment

I hope nobody here forgets to thank ESR for the venerable Reposurgeon tool. Converting these kind of massive repositories is simply not possible without Reposurgeon which is written in the highly efficient, faster than native, HPC language called Python 2. Arch probably also had to invest in a system with few terabytes of RAM to perform this massive conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  I hope nobody here forgets to thank ESR for the venerable Reposurgeon tool. Converting these kind of massive repositories is simply not possible without Reposurgeon which is written in the highly efficient, faster than native, HPC language called Python 2. Arch probably also had to invest in a system with few terabytes of RAM to perform this massive conversion.
                  Reposurgeon has been rewritten in Go, with the 4.0 release back in 2020.

A tool for editing version-control repositories and translating among different vwersion-control systems. Supports git, bzr, Subversion, darcs, and fossil directly, also hg, SCCS, CVS, RCS, and src through...

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

If even a python2 program takes terabytes of RAM to do something, the language isn't the issue. It's the code kiddies (like you people saying this stupidity.) that don't know what they're doing and designed something that has a completely dumb state processing loop and information need in place that should be optimized away by someone who isn't you. The language it's written in for any capable programmer who knows what they're doing should make it minimal as long as it doesn't take years to process on the CPU side, memory use (if you have enough for how you did it, too) literally shouldn't matter. That's the entire idea, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X