Ubuntu Knocks On Docker In Latest Snaps Promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Are there people who are using docker as a medium for distributing apps? Maybe in the IoT space they do that? That would be the only reason I can think of for making this comparison, otherwise the two techs are used for different things.
    it makes sense for server-side apps with web interface served to client side, that you may wish to deploy in varied scale easily

eg: Next Cloud
    Download and install Nextcloud and use the desktop clients to keep your files synchronized between your server and your desktop

...but then again i think it might make more sense to create those sorts of apps as a set of microservices over kubernetes than a monolithic docker image if you're serious about making it able to scale well from a single lightweight machine like an RPi to several server beasts to a cloud (disclaimer: not an expert)
    Last edited by marlock; 17 May 2023, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Weird, not an apple to apple comparison.

I don't really like snap but on Ubuntu it comes the de facto way to distribute software (e.g. microK8s, cloud service provider agent, etc.). If there is requirement to package and distribute software to end users, snap won't even be considered...

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

It is like it is starting things on parallel or something like that (well, yes, I know to does that anyway!) What I mean is, as an example, I get the login prompt, and then more console output after the fact, stuff keeps coming. Has been that way for a while. Debian does not do this, whatever it is it is doing. I just figured it was Snap stuff, thought I may have been told that in the past. May just an assumption, and you know what they say. I don't need to be correct, rather be corrected if I am wrong.

I was just going to install 23.04 server on a VM to test again, but not going to download a 2.5 GB ISO for this right now, miss the old ~600 MB netinstall ISOs to be honest, but maybe will check out at another time. Because of work, have warmed up to RH derivatives and also Debian. But used to install Ubuntu server quite often, am not opposed to it.
        ah you mean that, well that is Ubuntu having moved the tty service earlier in the boot so you get the logon prompt before other services have launched.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
          ah you mean that, well that is Ubuntu having moved the tty service earlier in the boot so you get the logon prompt before other services have launched.
          That solves that mystery (and nothing to do with Sanps) - thank you!!

Comment

Why would anyone use this shit when native applications are without any debate superior in every way?

Trying to sell us on shit based on how much better it is on some other shit doesn't really mean anything, except that both are shit.

Comment

this gives some insight into the gulf between snap and flatpak, although someone considering flatpak is only interested in desktop gui apps, so the extra capabilities of snap may not be relevant. However, perhaps it informs some of the reasons Canonical made snap. It is not merely an equivalent of flatpak. It is for Ubuntu Core.

Comment

I dont see the problem here, everybody try to push their products, if people dont like use other, simple like that

Comment

It would be interesting to see something like Ubuntu Core (completely Snap-based) as a Desktop OS. Kind of how Fedora has Kinoite and openSUSE has MicroOS.

Comment

Just wtf are they on about? Docker is a tool completely different in architecture and purpose. I don't see the point of this apples to oranges comparison at all

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                      Why would anyone use this shit when native applications are without any debate superior in every way?

Trying to sell us on shit based on how much better it is on some other shit doesn't really mean anything, except that both are shit.
                      Because it attracts Windows devs that are used to distribute software this way (so any other way must be wrong and bad).

Comment

Working...
                      X