Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Knocks On Docker In Latest Snaps Promotion

Phoronix: Ubuntu Knocks On Docker In Latest Snaps Promotion

While for an Ubuntu desktop user that is used to running Snap versions of Firefox and other desktop application sandboxing it may seem strange for Canonical to be comparing Snaps to Docker containers, the emphasis of their comparison is on the IoT/edge computing side where they are trying to better position Snaps as a superior alternative to using Docker containers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm on neither boat since I hate containers with a passion but that said atleast Ubuntu have managed to fix the slow loading times that otherwise plagued Snap, e.g Firefox on my workstation (ok SSD but still) now loads < 1s.

Comment

I don't get it... why are these even being compared? They serve different purposes. Might as well throw VMs into the mix. I could see a system having all 3, since there are aspects where they don't overlap.

Comment

what a load of bollocks​

Comment

While for an Ubuntu desktop user that is used to running Snap versions of Firefox and other desktop application sandboxing it may seem strange for Canonical to be comparing Snaps to Docker containers, the emphasis of their comparison is on the IoT/edge computing side where they are trying to better position Snaps as a superior alternative to using Docker containers.
          Nothing strange in that. Snap is better designed as an Enterprise / iot solution than a desktop solution (that's why the experience with desktop Snap apps is so crappy). In fact, a former Canonical employee who left partly because he was frustrated with trying to fix Snap for desktop use, has confirmed that Snap is developed by iot focused people.

But whether Snap is better than docker as an iot solution, I don't know and have no opinion in that.
          Last edited by user1; 17 May 2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Podman
            Flatpak
            Just it

Comment

I can see what they are trying to do here and it is an interesting comparison for how people might deploy an IoT device.

Not sure I would want to put all my eggs in a one vendor basket, especially when you can script nightly updates (cron job for docker compose up -d --pull always) and run your own container registry

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I like to install various server variant Linux distros as VMs to try things out. I cannot remember what version I first noticed this on for Ubuntu, but the boot process seemed "jumpy" (not sure how to best describe.) I think whatever I was seeing is because a lot of the core base system is now Snaps. Is this correct? And if so, is there any documentation or a web page someone could point me to as to how this is architectured? It all just got me curious. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I like to install various server variant Linux distros as VMs to try things out. I cannot remember what version I first noticed this on for Ubuntu, but the boot process seemed "jumpy" (not sure how to best describe.) I think whatever I was seeing is because a lot of the core base system is now Snaps. Is this correct? And if so, is there any documentation or a web page someone could point me to as to how this is architectured? It all just got me curious. Thanks.
                  no that is not correct, a base install of Ubuntu server have only one snap installed, lxd, and lxd isn't even active by default. Not sure what you mean by the boot being jumpy, I for one cannot see any difference between Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and so on during boot.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I don't get it... why are these even being compared? They serve different purposes. Might as well throw VMs into the mix. I could see a system having all 3, since there are aspects where they don't overlap.
                    I have no idea. They're boasting about granular level permissions to the host OS. We don't want containers to have that to begin with, it's none of their business.

Comment

Working...
                    X