No announcement yet.

Fedora 39 Looks To Ship mkosi-initrd As A Modern Alternative To Dracut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it support NFS root? Not that would it be a regression, dracut has broken nfsroot for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      ...And devs, please fix the name “mkosi-initrd” is one of the worst names I've ever heard...
      Time to learn other cultural languages, "mkosi is both a Swahili and Zulu words. Get used to.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Time to learn other cultural languages, "mkosi is both a Swahili and Zulu words. Get used to.
        I already posess a couple languages and am always educating myself. Doesn't mean I have to agree that every word is a good product name.

Comment

The fact that each distro builds their own initrd differently is kinda depressing.

To be honest I'm looking forward to the day when all the distros have a common kernel repository from which a particular distro pulls something it deems appropriate according to its updates policy.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            The fact that each distro builds their own initrd differently is kinda depressing.

To be honest I'm looking forward to the day when all the distros have a common kernel repository from which a particular distro pulls something it deems appropriate according to its updates policy.
            Yes, and I'm sure that your new "Central Kernel Repository" would be controlled by a partnership between IBM, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and a couple of other real corporate champions of software freedom. Probably Oracle would shove their way into the party. And nVidia and Intel of course - why not? How delightful.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yes, and I'm sure that your new "Central Kernel Repository" would be controlled by a partnership between IBM, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and a couple of other real corporate champions of software freedom. Probably Oracle would shove their way into the party. And nVidia and Intel of course - why not? How delightful.
              Well, I'm on Fedora and I've always got my own kernel compiled and installed - no one is taking this from you.

Default distro kernels are bloated as hell anyways:

My kernel 6.2.14: 5,058,208 bytes
              vmlinuz-6.2.14-300.fc38.x86_64 14,238,728 bytes

And with my kernel the system boots twice as fast (Fedora uses hellishly slow XZ for compressing modules, I use ZSTD).
              Last edited by avis; 08 May 2023, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Well, I'm on Fedora and I've always got my own kernel compiled and installed - no one is taking this from you.

Default distro kernels are bloated as hell anyways:

My kernel 6.2.14: 5,058,208 bytes
                vmlinuz-6.2.14-300.fc38.x86_64 14,238,728 bytes

And with my kernel the system boots twice as fast (Fedora uses hellishly slow XZ for compressing modules, I use ZSTD).
                I think you're right, I've built a lot of kernels and they always seemed faster. I never paid much attention to how large they are, that's a good point. When you need only enough to run your specific system, you should be able to get it a lot smaller and faster.

Comment

Wow proper usage of "exotic" word. Not "esoteric" which is often seen instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X