X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeno
    replied
    Originally posted by Zhick View Post
    Yeah, that's a bug with the new kms/dri2 code (F11 uses bleeding edge stuff in contrast to Jaunty) in connection to kwin. It's already reported here. The second comment there is from me...
    According to #radeon this should be fixed in X Server git, but the last time I tried it wasn't. Maybe you can try running a more recent X Server and report the results to that bug as well? I guess it would help to bring it to the devs attention.
    I'll also give the KDE liveCD a try tommorow, but I guess now I already know what to expect.
    Latest MESA (7.6) fixed this one for me. KWin composite works just fine now. Also some OGL apps like Glaxium, GL-117 stopped complaining about falling to SW rendering and runs with usable fps.
    The performance with KMS is still far cry from the Fedora9 (MESA 7.1 and xorg-x11-drv-ati 6.8 IIRC) and F10 w/o KMS but better with F10/KMS.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by fart_flower View Post
    True enough, but I never asked for help in this thread -- I merely pointed out my Fedora 11 experiences thus far. (The topic is, after all, Fedora 11.) Some people were kind enough to volunteer some thoughts on my issues, but I never actually asked for them. I do that on the Fedora Forum, where it belongs:
    I've just installed Fedora 11 and have noticed some funkiness regarding "window and button sounds". Here are my observations: (All found using "Sound Preferences") If "Output Volume" (OV) is set to max, and "Alert Volume" (AV) is set to max, the "window and button sounds" (WABS) are very loud. This seems to be correct. If I begin to move OV to a lower slider value, the WABS become quieter twice as fast as other sounds (such as youtube videos). However, all sounds seem to get quieter

Anyway, whatever. It's nice and sunny outside -- I'm going to work on my melanoma.

Yours sincerely,
    Farty McTroll.
    I wonder if those people can help you. Linux Firefox uses slow garbage called xul. However, there are some threads on unofficial nvidia forum which may be helpful (ya' know, those ugly hacks which only Linux geeks use ). Fedora people can't do anything with nvidia binary blobs and they rather won't rewrite Firefox using something better then xul.

Leave a comment:

• Zhick
    replied
    Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    I'm trying out the KDE LiveCD on my laptop. Every time I enable Kwin effects with Opengl, the desktop freaks out and once it settles I can only see window outlines and shadows (the window content itself appears garbled or is just missing). The laptop has a 200M, so the driver should be providing proper 3D. Kubuntu Jaunty works, for example, and I think both Jaunty and F11 use the same driver version. Xrender works, but who wants to use that . Additionally, Kwin with effects appears uberslugish; Jaunty is snappy even from the LiveCD.
    Yeah, that's a bug with the new kms/dri2 code (F11 uses bleeding edge stuff in contrast to Jaunty) in connection to kwin. It's already reported here. The second comment there is from me...
    According to #radeon this should be fixed in X Server git, but the last time I tried it wasn't. Maybe you can try running a more recent X Server and report the results to that bug as well? I guess it would help to bring it to the devs attention.
    I'll also give the KDE liveCD a try tommorow, but I guess now I already know what to expect.

Leave a comment:

• fart_flower
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    What do you expect? You should be thankful, because some people replied you. This thread is not about solving your problems.
    True enough, but I never asked for help in this thread -- I merely pointed out my Fedora 11 experiences thus far. (The topic is, after all, Fedora 11.) Some people were kind enough to volunteer some thoughts on my issues, but I never actually asked for them. I do that on the Fedora Forum, where it belongs:
    I've just installed Fedora 11 and have noticed some funkiness regarding "window and button sounds". Here are my observations: (All found using "Sound Preferences") If "Output Volume" (OV) is set to max, and "Alert Volume" (AV) is set to max, the "window and button sounds" (WABS) are very loud. This seems to be correct. If I begin to move OV to a lower slider value, the WABS become quieter twice as fast as other sounds (such as youtube videos). However, all sounds seem to get quieter

Anyway, whatever. It's nice and sunny outside -- I'm going to work on my melanoma.

Yours sincerely,
    Farty McTroll.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    Hahaha I wonder which thread
    You should know

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    You sound like one troll from the other thread now.
    Hahaha I wonder which thread

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Ha ha ha! I love Linux people. Always the same:

Newbee: "I'm having an issue with so-and-so, any help?"

Crustee: "Works fine here."

Newbee: "Um, that's great, but it doesn't work here. Any help?"

Crustee: "You don't know what you're talking about. It works fine here."

Newbee: "Gosh, thanks..." (Goes back to WinXP.)

In contrast, the LKML is all about: "We've gotta problem." "We have a regression." "This code sucks." "Must fix this buggy crap." Etc.

At least the people behind the wheel are paying some attention. Nyuk, nyuk...
    What do you expect? You should be thankful, because some people replied you. This thread is not about solving your problems. I love Windows people:

scream and demand that some users not affected by their problems will help them. Go to mozilla or nvidia forum and write about this issue or even post bug report. You sound like one troll from the other thread now.

Leave a comment:

• fart_flower
    replied
    Originally posted by susikala View Post
    Probably a graphics card issue.
    More likely it's a combo issue. I've seen the same slow scrolling on my previous ATI card, and on a friend's Intel IGP.

Combo one-two-punch... Knock-out! Great fighting, you're an up-and-coming scrolling bug!

Leave a comment:

• fart_flower
    replied
    Ha ha ha! I love Linux people. Always the same:

Newbee: "I'm having an issue with so-and-so, any help?"

Crustee: "Works fine here."

Newbee: "Um, that's great, but it doesn't work here. Any help?"

Crustee: "You don't know what you're talking about. It works fine here."

Newbee: "Gosh, thanks..." (Goes back to WinXP.)

In contrast, the LKML is all about: "We've gotta problem." "We have a regression." "This code sucks." "Must fix this buggy crap." Etc.

At least the people behind the wheel are paying some attention. Nyuk, nyuk...

Leave a comment:

• susikala
    replied
    One thing that has always bothered me about recent desktop Linux flavours is the slow Firefox rendering. If there is a static background, scrolling grinds to a halt. Switching tabs is positively glacial. When I try and increase font size, which takes a split second on Windows, it can literally take up to half a minute in Linux. (Especially some fancier/text-heavy Japanese sites.) I surf at 1920x1200, so increasing font sizes is common practice.

I am currently running Fedora 11 off the live CD and have to say all these problems are fixed in Firefox 3.5. Yay! Okay, not really Fedora specific, but this is the first modern distro in recent history that didn't have a Firefox that felt ten times -- or more -- slower than the same version of Firefox running under WinXP.
    I really don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about. I'm using Xubuntu Jaunty, that is Firefox 3.0.10 on an ATI igp with radeon-git. Scrolling is smooth as it gets, switching tabs is instantaneous, increasing font size occurs immediately, even on text-heavy sites.

I don't think those issues have anything to do with Firefox on Linux or even with your distro. The implementation is just fine, works as well as on Windows or even better. Probably a graphics card issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X