Fedora 39 Planning For RPM 4.19 - Adds x86-64 v2/v3/v4 Feature Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 39 Planning For RPM 4.19 - Adds x86-64 v2/v3/v4 Feature Levels

Phoronix: Fedora 39 Planning For RPM 4.19 - Adds x86-64 v2/v3/v4 Feature Levels

With the Fedora 39 release later this year the developers are planning on moving to RPM 4.19 as the newest version of their packaging format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome on Redhat 8/9 is still good looking with today standard!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      Gnome on Redhat 8/9 is still good looking with today standard!
      Agreed. Whilst the article mentions that RPM has come along way since then; GUI environments have absolutely stagnated or regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed. Whilst the article mentions that RPM has come along way since then; GUI environments have absolutely stagnated or regressed.
        Desktop is not anymore where the music is. The big internet companies want to push more webbased applications which mostly are suboptimal.

I think we will get back to the times of terminals and work stations. But I am not so sure about terminals because many jobs could be superseded by AI.

Comment

x86-64 levels explained: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64...tecture_levels

Comment

Then feature levels confuse me a little bit when it comes to heterogeneous architecture. Do such systems need to use the lowest common feature level or can they somehow manage to keep threads on compatibile cores?

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post
              I think we will get back to the times of terminals and work stations. But I am not so sure about terminals because many jobs could be superseded by AI.
              Someone would still need to enter the prompts and perform some system admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                Then feature levels confuse me a little bit when it comes to heterogeneous architecture. Do such systems need to use the lowest common feature level or can they somehow manage to keep threads on compatibile cores?
                There is no heterogenous x86 architecture. The closest thing might be Xeon Phi if it can be socketed alongside a regular CPU, but I'm not sure that was ever possible.

I dont think that exists in ARM land either. NEON is pretty cheap, and its not necessary with ARMv9.

Comment

Since x86-64-v1 is the new 32 bit, most likely Fedora will drop support for those early CPUs in the next release after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post
                    Since x86-64-v1 is the new 32 bit, most likely Fedora will drop support for those early CPUs in the next release after that.
                    No! that would be just way too wrong. There are plenty of very capable machines left to drop them out for little to no reason at all. AMD Athlon CPU's are reasonably secure, without stupid spying cores build-in, able to run modern games.

The motherboards of the era have its finest PCI bus support with a tons of pricey and outright rare PCI devices left on hands.

Want something to drop? Fine, the kernel and packages have lots of legacy to ditch off, there is no need to switch in frenzy drop mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X