Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Cinnamon Becomes An Official Flavor For Ubuntu 23.04

Phoronix: Ubuntu Cinnamon Becomes An Official Flavor For Ubuntu 23.04

Since 2019 there has been Ubuntu Cinnamon as an unofficial remix of Ubuntu paired with Linux Mint's Cinnamon desktop environment. After the three years of progress, Ubuntu Cinnamon has now been granted an official status with next month's Ubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"went smoothly" while showing Ubuntu's error message at the back

I'm on Ubuntu Mate and I get those errors every now and then. Something about the Planck dock segfaulting possibly due to race condition somewhere (since it happens at boot, but not always).

​​​Things seem to work though

Comment

Smooth segfaults.

Comment

Of course they made it official now to have one more distro where to spread their awful Snap abomination and to force it to not include Flatpak support by defaul.
        Especially now when they are losing more and more user because of this shitty attitude.
        I don't know why, but Canonical seems to me to have the same mentality as Russia, trying to force its way, ignoring the resistance and pushback, and with the huge loses, instead of backing down, they double down trying to find more idiots to push in the battle.

Are there more unofficial Ubuntu flavors?
        Because with Canonical desperation I think those will become official too, just so they are able to control them also.

Anyway, if I never used this flavor before, I will definitely not use it it.
        If I wanted to used Cinnamon, I would've done it on Linux Mint, non Canonical's garbage.

Comment

You mean Linux mint but with snap down your throat? No thanks. Like this people are very confused, you really don't want to be associated with canonical these days, it's embarrassingly cringe. Like why bother? When you can just use the distro with fist-class support for cinnamon

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
            So why does Mint need to exist still? Ubuntu has it all, better support, and if the spin wasn't official enough now there's official Cinnamon
            Welp, the Ubuntu flavors have shorter support time than the default editions, plus Ubuntu doesn't offer the same tools as Mint and Mint came before it. So Linux Mint remains as the Cinnamon's officially supported distro, since Cinnamon belongs to the Mint team.

Comment

So why does Mint need to exist still? Ubuntu has it all, better support, and if the spin wasn't official enough now there's official Cinnamon
              Mint needs to exist for the Snap haters out there.

Comment

lmfao , could ask the question, Why Does Ubuntu still exist when its security riddled with old out of date Packages, even Debian has more up to date Packages than ubuntu has

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Canonical seems to me to have the same mentality as Russia
                  1522609600996.png
                  Hmmm...

Comment

Cinnamon's workflow seems relatively similar to KDE. Wondering why you'd pick it when KDE has a much larger userbase, more developers, more testing, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X