Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out GCC 13

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out GCC 13

While GCC 13 is working its way toward its official GCC 13.1 stable release in the next few weeks, with this week's openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling-release updates it has already begun switching over to this major annual compiler update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i got over 2200 updates. all packages were recompiled with gcc13.

Comment

Me too, already updated! 😜

Comment

Are the download speeds still slow after the full rebuild? (recently switched to MicroOS and I'll probably update tomorrow)

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          Are the download speeds still slow after the full rebuild? (recently switched to MicroOS and I'll probably update tomorrow)
          I'm not sure which "download speeds" you are referring to. (curl downloads of the RPMs themselves, or running a wireless stack, or running a wired interface.) From my own Opensuse mirror, and from google itself for chrome, I'm reaching up to around 25MB (200 Mbits) on the largest RPMs via a "866 Mb" connection through a really old wireless router, at over 60 feet distance through both a wall and a floor.

From Packman, my RPM downloads are always pathetic - due to the other end, there's nothing I can do within my Tumbleweed system or my house to affect those RPM download speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
            I'm not sure which "download speeds" you are referring to.
            I refer to the download speeds of regular system updates via "sudo zypper dup" (or sudo transactional-update dup in case of MicroOS). After the full rebuilds due to new GCC or glibc versions, it usualy takes around 3 hours to download all the packages for many people. It was also the case for me last time I've used Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              i got over 2200 updates. all packages were recompiled with gcc13.
              One of mine had over 3500. Sigh, and of course I started all of that late at night. But, it's Tumbleweed, so "been there, done that".

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I refer to the download speeds of regular system updates via "sudo zypper dup" (or sudo transactional-update dup in case of MicroOS). After the full rebuilds due to new GCC or glibc versions, it usualy takes around 3 hours to download all the packages for many people. It was also the case for me last time I've used Tumbleweed.
                Thanks for the describing your issue as one of 'zypper dup' update RMP transfers, rather than in-production TCP/IP transfers. If you are using dynamically assigned mirror locations, the scheme tends to choose a mirror which is "close" in distance, which may not be a particularly fast server. My dynamically assigned mirror in USA is only a little bit slower than google itself, while serving up especially large RPMs (such as the kernel). The start time for each request dominates the downloads of small ones.

My updates (there were perhaps about 3700 for my rather "fat" box) were done in in less than 10 minutes, with "packman" downloads dominating that time. I download from a packman server in germany, not dynamically assigned.

In contrast, doing the "march" updates for windows 10 on the same system wasted nearly 2 hours, with barely 400MB involved in downloads. My computer is pretty fast, once the updates arrive (a 4x4 nvme drive, a 5900x CPU), but the Tumbleweed update process was over 10x faster than windows.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post

Thanks for the describing your issue as one of 'zypper dup' update RMP transfers, rather than in-production TCP/IP transfers. If you are using dynamically assigned mirror locations, the scheme tends to choose a mirror which is "close" in distance, which may not be a particularly fast server. My dynamically assigned mirror in USA is only a little bit slower than google itself, while serving up especially large RPMs (such as the kernel). The start time for each request dominates the downloads of small ones.

My updates (there were perhaps about 3700 for my rather "fat" box) were done in in less than 10 minutes, with "packman" downloads dominating that time. I download from a packman server in germany, not dynamically assigned.

In contrast, doing the "march" updates for windows 10 on the same system wasted nearly 2 hours, with barely 400MB involved in downloads. My computer is pretty fast, once the updates arrive (a 4x4 nvme drive, a 5900x CPU), but the Tumbleweed update process was over 10x faster than windows.
                  For me it took half a day to update. For my dad too. We all have fiber internet 1000 Mbit in the Netherlands, so it should be plenty fast. But if you read on the openSUSE Reddit, you'll see that a lot of people had slow download speeds this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

For me it took half a day to update. For my dad too. We all have fiber internet 1000 Mbit in the Netherlands, so it should be plenty fast. But if you read on the openSUSE Reddit, you'll see that a lot of people had slow download speeds this time.
                    When there are snapshots this big it's quite normal, the servers get overloaded, I usually wait a couple of days and it comes back to download fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X