Trisquel 11 LTS Released As Ubuntu-Based, FSF-Approved Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trisquel 11 LTS Released As Ubuntu-Based, FSF-Approved Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Trisquel 11 LTS Released As Ubuntu-Based, FSF-Approved Linux Distribution

Trisquel 11 is now available as the latest major release for this one of a few Free Software Foundation (FSF) approved Linux distributions that is "100% libre" and meets all of the fully free software requirements. Trisquel 11 is re-based against Ubuntu 22.04 LTS while making various other changes in the process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everybody hates snap

Comment

I wish it had KDE Plasma version too!

Comment

I wish I could find a recent fast enough PC where it actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Looks like you need Triskel? It's on the same download page and features „KDE desktop”

Comment

This is a big accomplishment by Rubén Rodriguez and the fantastic Trisquel development crew. Supporting various ARM and PPC architectures has been a big, multi-year project that is coming to full fruition with this release.

A few corrections to Michael's article and to some comments above -

Abrowser - it isn't any more of a "gutted" version of Firefox than Librewolf, as they both disable similar non-free and anti-privacy features and inappropriate network connections. If you've used Librewolf, you'll probably feel right at home using Abrowser.

Linux-libre kernel - Trisquel's version has been a deblobbed Ubuntu kernel, so it's a bit different than the mainline Linux-libre kernel. Many people prefer this version as it's a bit more accommodating for different hardware.

Using Trisquel on modern machines - it should just work on most Intel machines with Intel graphics, and other systems as long as they don't need proprietary firmware for their specific hardware. You can get newer versions of Linux-libre kernels if you need them, all the way up to the latest kernel releases. For most modern systems you'll need an Atheros USB WiFi dongle if you want libre WiFi. Those are about $10 on any online store, and you should already have one or two anyway as emergency backups for when proprietary WiFi cards inevitably fail.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Abrowser - it isn't any more of a "gutted" version of Firefox than Librewolf, as they both disable similar non-free and anti-privacy features and inappropriate network connections. If you've used Librewolf, you'll probably feel right at home using Abrowser.
              But last time I used librewolf, it played drm content, which is an insult to its own name. Does abrowser have drm components too?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

But last time I used librewolf, it played drm content, which is an insult to its own name. Does abrowser have drm components too?
                That's one of the biggest differences. Librewolf has DRM disabled by default but you can configure it to work. Abrowser does not have DRM built into the browser at all. It's good for people to break their Netflix addictions.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                  Everybody hates snap
                  They likely didn't remove the Firefox snap because they hate snap, but rather because Firefox isn't "free enough" for them. They already replaced the deb version in former releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    You can simply `apt install kubuntu-desktop` or some such. It's still ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X