No announcement yet.

Amazon Linux 2023 Is Running Well, Boosting EC2 Performance Over Amazon Linux 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Linux 2023 Is Running Well, Boosting EC2 Performance Over Amazon Linux 2

Phoronix: Amazon Linux 2023 Is Running Well, Boosting EC2 Performance Over Amazon Linux 2

For those currently making use of Amazon Linux 2 (AL2) as the operating system for Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances, the newly-released Amazon Linux 2023 (AL2023) is delivering some worthwhile speed-ups for maximizing your performance and value in their public cloud.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No Clear Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      No Clear Linux?
      Clear Linux not for AArch64 and as mentioned tests/OSes were limited due to costs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am still waiting for a standardized 125W-class desktop platform, that gets CPU support from major ARM vendors. Any more walled gardens around each vendor won't fly in the consumer space, especially when they start from 0% market share.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          I am still waiting for a standardized 125W-class desktop platform, that gets CPU support from major ARM vendors. Any more walled gardens around each vendor won't fly in the consumer space, especially when they start from 0% market share.
          So you're waiting for something that will never happen.

Comment

Those that enjoy suck tests...
            Is that a typo? If not, what is a "suck" test?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Byron II View Post

Is that a typo? If not, what is a "suck" test?
              Fixed, thanks "such" tests
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For the tiny cloud instances systemd can use 10%RAM so Alpine may be the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

So you're waiting for something that will never happen.
                  Maybe, but it is something that would make chances higher for the Arm-vendors to compete successfully on the desktop against AMD and Intel. Think of the Socket 7 days with Intel, Cyrix and AMD using the same platform.

Comment

Migration from AL2 to AL2023 has been proven difficult. I tried first AL2022 when it was in the pre-release, then AL2023 now and both time hit some road block with missing packages. Bear in mind that AL2 has EPEL and amazon-linux-extras repos which AL2023 supposedly doesn't need because it's based on Fedora. Yet many packages present in Fedora are missing in AL2023. What's the point of migrating to AL2023, if I can't replicate my deployment in it? AL2 still gets new kernels so its performance continues to improve and it's probably on par with AL2023. These benchmarks miss the fact that GCC10 is available in AL2 which is not very far from GCC11 available in AL2023. The benchmarks should have used GCC10 on AL2. Also the currently available most recent kernel in AL2 is 5.15, not 5.10.
                    Last edited by danger; 22 March 2023, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X