Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrokenAnsible
    replied
    Been using Bookworm for a few weeks but then moved back to POP_OS! for the workstation. I will be installing BW on a old PowerMac G5 and also on a few build servers in the homelab I just procured off of fleabay. BW is more stable than most OSs I just rather use POP_OS! for its amazing user interface (I like it anways.)

Leave a comment:

• silentcreek
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
    They are so busy doing this that they are neglecting the release of Debian 11.7 which was scheduled for mid-February ;-(
    No, it was never scheduled for mid-February. Up until yesterday or so, the page you linked read:
    stable (11.7) Not yet planned (maybe mid-February)
    Neither did anybody promise you anything, nor is anybody neglecting anything. If there are critical issues, they will be patched even before the next point release. And if there's a less critical fix waiting to be released with the next point release, you can always add the proposed-updates repository.

In the meantime, the page was updated to show that the point release will happen on April, 29. Just relax

P.S. Btw, it happens actually quite often that point releases are released later than the time estimated on the release page.
    Last edited by silentcreek; 18 March 2023, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xAlt7x
    replied
    Originally posted by slotdime View Post
    I want to configure it for always stay in "performance" mode and persist the configuration.
    For the time being, after turning on the pc, I run a script to change the governor (as root).

#!/bin/bash
    echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

In case anyone have a better and more elegant solution, thanks in advance .
    Boot kernel parameter "cpufreq.default_governor=performance" works since Linux 5.9 (so even Debian 11 supports it).
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash cpufreq.default_governor=performance"
    Ctrl+s, Ctrl+x
    sudo update-grub

Leave a comment:

• DRanged
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Nice to see my custom systemd service script actually getting used in the wild!

But one thing I've changed since then is to drop the "-c all" part, because I noticed on one of my machines that the very last CPU core was still defaulting to "schedutil" instead of the performance governor, weirdly enough.

Also, running the command without specifying to use all available CPU cores/threads will successfully set the appropriate governor for all of them, anyway.

So the better systemd service file should look like the following:

Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=CPU performance governor
    [Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower frequency-set -g performance
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    Cheers!​
    Nice one, I haven't needed any of this yet but copied it for future use

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post
    If You are using cpufrequtils then just set the GOVERNOR variable in /etc/default/cpufrequtils​.

However, I would probably just use the cpupower (from the linux-cpupower package) with a simple systemd unit like this:

Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=CPU governor service
    [Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance
    [Install]
    Nice to see my custom systemd service script actually getting used in the wild!

But one thing I've changed since then is to drop the "-c all" part, because I noticed on one of my machines that the very last CPU core was still defaulting to "schedutil" instead of the performance governor, weirdly enough.

Also, running the command without specifying to use all available CPU cores/threads will successfully set the appropriate governor for all of them, anyway.

So the better systemd service file should look like the following:

Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=CPU performance governor
    [Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower frequency-set -g performance
    [Install]
    Cheers!​

Leave a comment:

• GreenReaper
    replied
    Just compile your own minimal kernel and set the default there. Problem solved! 😸

Leave a comment:

• wooque
    replied
    Originally posted by slotdime View Post

I'm using it for 6 months [cinnamon] . Nice and gentle as always .
    As usual, I have a little problem: the performance governor .
    I want to configure it for always stay in "performance" mode and persist the configuration.
    For the time being, after turning on the pc, I run a script to change the governor (as root).

#!/bin/bash

Regards
    Arch wiki is always good source of information

Leave a comment:

• barti_ddu
    replied
    If You are using cpufrequtils then just set the GOVERNOR variable in /etc/default/cpufrequtils​.

However, I would probably just use the cpupower (from the linux-cpupower package) with a simple systemd unit like this:

Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=CPU governor service
    [Service]
    Type=oneshot
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance
    [Install]

Leave a comment:

• slotdime
    replied
    Originally posted by wooque View Post
    Already on Debian 12 Bookworm, pretty solid distro. I get lowest idle power usage of all distros I tried, don't know what is the catch.
    I'm using it for 6 months [cinnamon] . Nice and gentle as always .
    As usual, I have a little problem: the performance governor .

#!/bin/bash

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Procyon123
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    Did KDE Plasma 5.27 make the cut?
    Yes, version 5.27.2 is in bookworm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X