Fedora Workstation 38 Is Shaping Up To Be Another Fantastic Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
    Did they ever mainstream the fractional scaling options? I'm using 250% scaling on Windows 11 on a 4K display (happens to be a 65" 4K TV). Also waiting for HDR support in Fedora before I switch. HDR is glorious when it works properly. Windows 11 release/21H2 still had it broken from the Windows 10 code but Windows 11 22H2 fixed it and scales SDR into HDR colour space correctly instead of it being washed out. Hoping when Fedora does it, that it works like this.

Also looking for a Linux SIP program that works as well as MicroSIP on Windows. Haven't seen anything yet that works as well, and I tried a bunch. GNOME Calls might be alright if it had proper support for encrypted calls on SRTP w/ TLS. BTW: I use VoIP.ms as my provider and I tried GNOME Calls before and it was horribly broken. The app would just crash out of the blue too.
    We're arguing about turning it on by default at https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/357 , but if you want it, all you have to do is run `gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"`.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

If everyone "hangs back", then nothing actually gets fixed. One of the Fedora foundations is "first": https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/#_first . Part of that is, we see it as part of Fedora's job to adopt new things early and help sort out all the bugs. A *lot* of fixes for compilation with new versions of gcc and glibc happen because Fedora upgrades, and we rebuild everything in the distro, and we fix the things that need fixing and send the fixes upstream. If nobody does that, then stuff never gets fixed.
      OK, so introduce random bugs in 50,000 other packages by using unstable glibc and gcc releases, just to "get fixed" gcc and glibc? Sounds about right..

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

In what way is gnome + wayland a dumpster fire? I have my issues with gnome, but fedora+gnome+wayland has been very solid on radeon for a few releases now, and the normal gnome breaking things on upgrade hasn't been terrible, and thats been during the replacing gtk3 with gtk4 for various gnome apps over the last few releases.

I heard once that facebook's internal distro is fedora userspace with rhel's gcc/glibc, and while I think there's absolutely a usecase for something like that, it's really not that useful for a desktop. Besides, we're supposed to be using containers/snaps/flatpaks/appimages to decouple the distro to whatever people want in terms of stability.
        All manner of desktop crashes, freezes, etc... on an all AMD rig, and especially if attempting to run it in a VM. And this has been happening for a very long time. I trust you are aware of all of the shortcomings of Wayland that are still not being fixed 14 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post

All manner of desktop crashes, freezes, etc... on an all AMD rig, and especially if attempting to run it in a VM. And this has been happening for a very long time. I trust you are aware of all of the shortcomings of Wayland that are still not being fixed 14 years later.
          Yes, well aware of wayland shortcomings, and some of the extra issues gnome compositor adds to that. I've seen a lot of radeon crashing reports in these forums, but either I've picked the right vintage, I've been incredibly lucky, or perhaps its because I'm not pushing the desktop in any way (e.g. no 3d games).

Comment

Working...
          X